Thread: 600mm f/4 for carry on aircraft

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 600mm f/4 for carry on aircraft

Hi guys

How many of you use a 600mm f/4 lens for air travel.
    Do you have any issues with taking it as a carry on item?
    What case do you recommend for that?

Thanks in advance

Threads
    Thank You Posts

depends on the airline, here I use a think tank roller bag but some international airlines do not allow the same bag in the cabin
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK cool. Thanks.
    Is the hard case solid and safe enough to allow the lens to be checked in in that case???
    We are travelling to South Africa next July so I am a bit dubious of airline staff (both in Australia and overseas) if they see a shiny lens case.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I took the old canon 500mm f4 on a transatlantic flight a few months ago. Lowepro backpack bag, no issues at all, fit fine in the overhead locker but made sure I got to my seat as soon as I could so I could put it where I wanted it rather than leave it to the cabin staff to handle.

As Arash says it depends upon individual airline restrictions but I'd be pretty nervous putting it in the hold even in the flight case.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use a Think Tank Airport Security 3 for my 600. I've had no problem traveling with it as a carry-on throughout the USA and Costa Rica (with the exception of small commuter jets). If it needs to be checked, pack the bag really tight using clothing as padding.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

8. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys
    I was looking at the Think Tank range and one in particular stood out, the Glass Limo. It is just within the allowable limit of Qantas carry-on luggage for its dimensions. Looks like I may be able to pick the 600/4 over the 500/4.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos,
    Nice to see you on the boards again. I have been to SA twice and Botswana 4 times. Every time I have packed my 600 mm II in my Kiboko 30 L Gura Gear back pack. I put my 1 DX, 1 DMK IV, my 100-400, my 24-105 and my extenders and my 600mm and battery charger and external hard drive in the back pack. It is heavy but If I can do it- you can too! I am 58 and 5'7' and 145 pounds. I pack the 600 lens hood and tripod in my wheeled duffel.
    I have never had any issues on any plane with any airline with my backpack.I think that the gate agents see a backpack and assume it is light and will fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment which it does!
    In 2013, we were a group of 8 flying from JNB to Maun, Botswana via Air Botswana and every single person except me was forced to gate check their gear because they had roll-ons that were weighed by gate staff.I just sauntered past!! On our return from Maun to JNB, we flew South African Airways and the exact same scenario occurred.
    The Kiboko fits in the overhead of all planes including DASH-8 (tight fit but it goes in). It will fit under the seat in front of you for smaller planes but you will have to put your feet on either side of bag- a bit uncomfortable but no big deal for 30 minute flights.
    I have flown to Nome and Barrow, Alaska and to Iceland from Nova Scotia and had no issues whatsoever. I have never, ever been stopped.
    Gail

11. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail
    Thanks a ton for that bit of info. It is fantastic! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

depending on the aircraft. A Boeing 737 or equivalent Airbus 330 will accommodate the Think tank Airport security 3.0. It's helpful if you have boarding status. A regional aircraft will not take the Think Tank 3.0, but a Lower Pro 500A bag can be put under a seat provided that it has 2 seats in a row. So be selective with seat assignment. I have put my 500 in a regular carry on, well padded with clothes and was horrified to see outside the plane window that the baggage handler tossed the suitcase on a ramp. No incident that time, but I have not checked any of my gear since.

14. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    OK cool. Thanks.
    Is the hard case solid and safe enough to allow the lens to be checked in in that case???
    We are travelling to South Africa next July so I am a bit dubious of airline staff (both in Australia and overseas) if they see a shiny lens case.
    Never had any issue Akos (touch wood), whilst travelling from OZ (being an Aussie myself) ever since my first trip to RSA over 35 yrs ago, but wouldn't suggest any type of shiny (or otherwise) lens case. Best to have your case looking very non-descript.

I personally use a Kiboko/Guar Gear bag (fits in ALL planes, inc regional) that would easily fit my 500/4+pro body (same length as 600 without body), plus 2 other bodies, an 80-400 and a 24-70. The cases with wheels always tend to look more imposing IMO, which is why the Kiboko is designed to be carried like a backpack, and never give the impression that it weighs more than it does.

IF they force you to reduce the weight, carry with you a large camera vest and you'll be surprised how much you can stuff in there to get you buy until you can repack it whilst back on board.

I gather you'll be flying Qantas/SAA/Virgin? And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....check in that bag.

Enjoy the trip!
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 08-26-2017 at 01:38 AM.

16. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Mol View Post
    Never had any issue Akos (touch wood), whilst travelling from OZ (being an Aussie myself) ever since my first trip to RSA over 35 yrs ago, but wouldn't suggest any type of shiny (or otherwise) lens case. Best to have your case looking very non-descript.

I personally use a Kiboko/Guar Gear bag (fits in ALL planes, inc regional) that would easily fit my 500/4+pro body (same length as 600 without body), plus 2 other bodies, an 80-400 and a 24-70. The cases with wheels always tend to look more imposing IMO, which is why the Kiboko is designed to be carried like a backpack, and never give the impression that it weighs more than it does.

IF they force you to reduce the weight, carry with you a large camera vest and you'll be surprised how much you can stuff in there to get you buy until you can repack it whilst back on board.

I gather you'll be flying Qantas/SAA/Virgin? And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....check in that bag.

Enjoy the trip!
    Thanks Marc - and Loi, and Gail and everyone else.

We are only flying Qantas or SAA.

18. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, just remember when you get 'land' side as I guess you will grab a coffee and re check in for your internal flight, get your hold backs 'shrink' wrapped before check in, Jo'berg isn't that secure .

BTW I get 2 1DX MK2's, 500mm & 200-400 plus some 'bits & bobs' in my Kata no problem, hoods in the hold luggage, all good on all flights except flight back from Svalbard where they do weight it and pay some excess.

Good luck.