Thread: Incoming everet ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Incoming everet ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favs so far,I guess it's a kidlet coming to me for starters,then the light and ....I won't go further,over to you

One of our best days hundreds of frames of maybe between 10 and 20 hares photographed on that day,it seemed each and ever time I got back to our little seats and sat another appeared and off I set on another stalk. It really was very very special ,as if the whole experience hadn't been enough already a day like this really wasn't deserved,but taken with great gratitude all the same. That said wow this was hard core brilliant but I could barely stand by the end of it all, sort of funny really as I do physical work and these guys just ran me into the ground.wonderful though without that fitness I wouldn't have been there for this the last set of the day

That constant dilemma of should one be in landscape or portrait a real factor in this set,I chose landscape this time maybe not so good for this frame but a couple of images later or a slight turn away and this was the only option. i'm sort of between the devil and the deep blue sea, here,as which ever way I go i'm going to get scuppered and I know it. Providing the leveret did what I expected ,which is pretty much did for once.

Thanks for the words on my previous postings and all the help and advice. This is fullframe processed in Canon DPP 4.6
    Canon 1div 300f2.8 1.4extiii

1/1250
    f5
    ISO 5000

I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always good to see your Hares Stu, there seems to be something you've improved each time you go out.

I can see why you like this one with the action. Good fieldcraft as ever stalking these guys, they can be super skittish - I'd love to see you in action with these, one day, I could learn quite a bit I reckon.

As nice as the action is, I'm wondering if by any chance you fired off a burst of shots? The reason being the grass in front of the legs isn't ideal and if he ran into the little clearing a bit further to the right you may have had a cleaner shot. A bit more sharpening may help, but I'm aware of your software situation right now. Maybe another one to bank for the day you get PS.

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, I would have removed the 1.4, tracked the moving subject and then fired as it came into frame. Sadly you would need say 1/3200 f/8 to nail the action here, as the subject is going to be moving quicker as he gets closer to you, so the kit has to work harder. I would have moved the FP more to the right so less space to the left and more to run into. If you have your tracking at -2 it might look on, but it takes longer to acquire focus again, so perhaps a + setting??? You need a bit more image below I feel and less above. At f/5 and at 1/1250SS I'm not sure you have much DoF to play with and it does look soft sadly.

Keep the coming.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Your fieldcraft really comes through in shots like this with how close you are able to get. Agree with the above observations of both Mike and Steve. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Poole;1162946]Always good to see your Hares Stu, there seems to be something you've improved each time you go out.

I can see why you like this one with the action. Good fieldcraft as ever stalking these guys, they can be super skittish - I'd love to see you in action with these, one day, I could learn quite a bit I reckon.

As nice as the action is, I'm wondering if by any chance you fired off a burst of shots? The reason being the grass in front of the legs isn't ideal and if he ran into the little clearing a bit further to the right you may have had a cleaner shot. A bit more sharpening may help, but I'm aware of your software situation right now. Maybe another one to bank for the day you get PS.

Thanks Mike, they are a bit easier than the norm it has to be said, and of course the more they see me and i don't harm,the less wary next time. But essentially I just present the smallest possible profile and try not to mess up.I watch their ears Mike they tell one alot about if the hare or leveret is bothered by me.

So embarasing, I got a tap on my foot yesterday ,I'd got out into some long grass lying in wait for fallow fawns we have seen playing chase ,my lass just behind me. Started snoring like good un,not best FC being asleep lol certainly something I'd rather you didn't learn from me,so embarasing!!

Mike fair points yes to the burst I'll look at this a good point to make. Have around ten or so frames in short bursts

Mike if I could bring Steve in here too,my tracking is not good enough here. Sure it is tricky off elbows with tiny bouncy things,but that is at the root of most of the issues pointed out with this one.

Steve cheers for the musings on techs needed, always of great use to hear these thoughts agreed on 1.4. I'm starting to realise how useful a zoom might be for me with my hares. One can never really predict this senario of a kidlet I've stalked to what I feel is a good range(at 420mm),turning to me and coming much closer. It catches me Steve,I go bare with no exts and naturally it doesn't happen pop one back on and.... That said all this is arming me as to tools(lenses in this case) that might be useful later on

Again tracking sensitivity point noted

thank you both

stu