Thread: Early Morning Cedar Waxwing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Early Morning Cedar Waxwing

Attached Images Attached Images

Ive been trying all summer to catch a good pose with a group of cedars at the river, this one I caught at first light 2 days ago with the sun just starting to hit the chest, it was just slightly underexposed but turned out a good look. Hope you like it
    1DX2, 500mm II w/2xIII
    1000mm @f8 1/800

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the way the light exposes the feather detail, Mike. Capturing that on a Waxwing is not easy because the feathers are so fine. Nice comp. too. I would wish for a sight head turn toward the viewer.

BPN Limited Member Gemma Watson's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I like this. The pose seems someone trained this cedar waxwing. Love it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, just a few comments. This shot would probably look better with a portrait crop and not so centered (more room in front) and a bit higher in frame if you have the room.
    Also shot looks a bit crunchy, maybe over-sharpened a bit trying to pull out details that weren't quite there? Also I would remove the bottom of the 2 catchlights it will make the shot look sharper.

Thanks -Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Mike, although being in Australia, I'm not familiar with this species. I agree with Tim that not having the bird centred would be better (bird more on left of crop). I'd also be tempted to lighten shadows on the back a whisker. Minor point but best to avoid your copyright sig over the bird's tail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your comments, I will rework this soon and repost. Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone I re centered the bird in the frame a little and slightly toned down the sharpness, For those who have shot this bird before you know how hard it is to get feather detail, they are so smooth, the sun angle did the defining for me, and I may have accented it a little too much. added some frame to the bottom. Is that better?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, I think the vertical position in the original post was fine. I (and Tim) were suggesting the bird be moved left in the crop rather than centred. But of course those aesthetics are your choice in the end.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat sidelight and a sweet BKGR and yes, a bit too centered still for me in the re-post.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike ,Great capture. I have had a hard time getting these or getting close. A lot smaller bird then you realize.Also Carolyn is correct they do have very fine details in the feathers.Yes you did capture this bird at first light. Agree with what has been said Keep posting.