Thread: Hermit Crab

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hermit Crab

Name:  hermit-crab-1-BPN.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  378.6 KB

Just one more from the macro shoot at Blue Heron Bridge. This little hermit crab was scurrying around, and as he moves he feels the sea bed, which is why I left all the debris in the shot. A sliver more on the right if needed and a tiny bit more on top, otherwise FF

Canon 1dx
    Canon 100mm L
    ISO 200
    1/100th f14
    Twin sea and sea YS-D1 strobes

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike I've no idea if colours are correct,but the contrast of the grey greens against the reds of your little mate are just gorgeous. I like the debris,i'm familiar with our natives I'm glad you kept it in,it adds to the behaviour side almost makes the image" feel right" to me Lovely sharpness the face eyes antenea really pop

very cool mate keep them coming !!

please

Stu

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fascinating look at the Hermit with nice colours and habitat. I like the colours and details.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - Another fun underwater image. Nice colors and the debris doesn't bother me at all. I would prefer a bit more room below but understand from your intro that you don't have it. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Mike..nice details in the crab and the colors pop nicely too!

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Andrew Mike, certainly pops.

Question Mike, why the low ISO, would it not have been advantageous to have gone with 400 or even 800 ISO for a lot more SS. As I would assume you are not as stable in water and so any movement would be replicated in the shot???

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Agree with Andrew Mike, certainly pops.

Question Mike, why the low ISO, would it not have been advantageous to have gone with 400 or even 800 ISO for a lot more SS. As I would assume you are not as stable in water and so any movement would be replicated in the shot???

TFS
    Steve
    Cheers Steve -

I think its a habit to get out of underwater. Traditionally, underwater we've shot at the low ISO's and its become a bit of a habit that needs breaking. The exposure methods are different underwater in that you set your exposure for the background, then light the foreground subject with flash. This limits us to the sync speed, as using Canons own guns at with HSS isn't practical.

My previous U/W cameras were firstly the Nikon D200, then the Canon 7d, neither of which responded well to high ISO.

This was my first outing with the 1dx, and I was playing it safe and stick with the old methods as I hadn't had chance to do any testing U/W before my trip. If I did this shoot tomorrow, I'd probably go up to 1/250th all the time and raise the ISO to compensate. Still not the topside shutter speeds, but the flash freezes most of the action.

Next trip is to Egypt in October, so the plan is to make the necessary adjustments

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, thanks for the explanation, as I really haven't a clue on this type of photography.

The only time was when I spent two weeks in Galapagos with Rousey and he was then shooting Nikon with a massive dome and ensuring all the 'O' rings were greased!!! No idea on the techs, but some interesting shots came from it.

So basically you shoot as if you were shooting with a flash, but the lighting is 'off-camera' which is beneficial IMHO. HSS is good and may suit the 1DX, as it means you can use much faster SS, but no idea if this is suitable for underwater photography. I wonder if Andrew MC may have some thoughts??? Egypt, nice one, clear waters, sun, idyllic.

Cheers

13. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post