Thread: Jealousy

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jealousy

Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know why, for some reason I cannot remember, when I was younger I used to think a lion's life had no plan and no meaning. I later changed my mind. Based on my observations over the past ten years, lions do what they want (when they want), and yes they often have a plan. As you can see, they can go from the deepest sleep to extreme action within seconds, awoken by the impetuous call of the male (or female) self...

I do believe the commotion in this scene was dictated by jealousy, and remember the circumstances quite well. Charlie Ash (father of those siblings) arrived at the scene after few days of absence and within seconds this particular youngster got up to greet him. The others did everything in their power to prevent him from doing so. Force was then replied with greater force and he somehow managed to get away, only to be smacked onto the ground seconds later by his own father (more images on request).

NB. Charlie Ash's heart is actually not as hard as it seems, it's just that his progeny's enthusiasm is sometimes more than he can handle... He is actually quite tolerant of his youngsters and capable of responding to their affection with affection of his own, displaying a certain willingness to cuddle and be cuddled. But one must be careful - too much closeness and he will push one away, he does give signals and it is up to the youngsters to read them in time...

Nikon D3S
    Nikon 500mm F4
    1.4TC
    ISO 400
    -1/3 EV
    F5.6
    1/3200s

Image captured on the 10th of October 2012, this is some time before I joined BPN. I find it quite difficult to reprocess old images with new software, also the quality of the RAW isn't so good. But I am enjoying the challenge. Feel free to critique and comment on any aspect of the image, I so appreciate your input, thank you for viewing dear friends

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely moment from a lovely place, Gabriela!
    I like the interaction here and can imagine exactly where in the Nossob riverbed this was...
    I am just now planning a potential 12-day trip in January before my 2nd year of MBA starts - hope it can realise!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - A fun moment to observe and capture. Looks like there was plenty of light so I imagine if you shot this today your techs would be different. Stop down a bit for more dof, up the ISO to compensate, perhaps not quite as much ss. It's often worthwhile to revisit images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction here Gabriela and as the techs were solid, no problem in revising old files and getting more from them with both your new skill set & updates in Software. Like the framing and enough space all round. Lets see more!!!

As usual, lovely narrative and a great read, thanks.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela. Great action and story. Love the interaction & comp. Techs look good too. Thanks for visiting your old files and sharing this awesome image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear friends,
    Rachel, it has been an interesting exercise, going through my old files. And it seems I have always been fond of high SS, Steve I was experimenting a lot in those days, shooting lots of frames (some thought too many) and downloading at night to see what worked and what didn't. During the day I sat for hours in the vehicle near a waterhole, browsing through camera manuals while waiting for animals to pitch up. I also kept diaries on sightings and wrote down my observations regarding animal/ bird behaviour and movements: what time they arrived to drink, from what direction they came, how they interacted with other species, also their feeding habits.

Morkel, this was taken at Rooiputs, near the waterhole. Those are Ash's kids. And I am going back in February:)

Let's see if I can find some more "oldies" worth sharing, Sanjeev - I will do my best

A lovely evening to you all,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ...... do you need a campboy ..... i think you remember that question ....
    Lovely KTP image , love the clean Rooiputs setup and the color/ tone combo .
    Good timing in getting the action ....
    You and your Lions are always a pleasure to look at ...
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andreas

So glad you like this. I guess it is easy for you to relate to those scenes, having been there. Regarding next trip, I did the bookings too late and no camping available for February next year on the Botswana side. So I had to go for plan "B", tented camps and lodges. A bit disappointing as I really love camping, but such is life...Thinking what to do next September, thinking I should explore some new territories?

Hope you have a wonderful week-end Boetie,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela,Thanks echoed on the beautifully scripted back story. for someone like me who doesn't know your land or animals it adds so much context to what is being displayed,beyond the technicalities of an image. It's a wonderful,looks playful to me moment caught,there is so much to draw upon with all the facial expressions. i'm also struck by how much the overal shape of the morass of cubs appeals to me. Love your framing. Gabby the colours strike me to not in a bad way just how in tune colour of soil and animal can be with each other in nature...would this work in B&W?
    Yes please I'd like to see charlie ash and others

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu,

Thank you so much for those kind and thoughtful comments. And for taking the time to view.

This image - or series of images rather - appeals to me tremendously, and I keep going back to this folder every year. Not quite sure why. I guess there's a combination of things that make it so special to me. Maybe it has to do with the facial expressions from the protagonists, or the "connection" between them. Perhaps it is their playful and cheerful mood. Or simply what I call "the uncontaminated beauty of the Kalahari lion". That golden light is so magical and not quite easy to artificially construct with PP work, at least not to me.Beauty in Nature occurs in every day events, and the challenge for us as photographers is how to best capture it and trigger an emotional impulse from the viewer.

A Black and White conversion ... I do not see it in this instance? All I see is a scene brimming with light and colour, immersed in almost supernatural luminosity. I could be wrong though.

And Stu, I promise to show you more on Charlie Ash and his kids, if you show me more hares

Hope you have a lovely week-end,

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    Gabriela,Thanks echoed on the beautifully scripted back story. for someone like me who doesn't know your land or animals it adds so much context to what is being displayed,beyond the technicalities of an image. It's a wonderful,looks playful to me moment caught,there is so much to draw upon with all the facial expressions. i'm also struck by how much the overal shape of the morass of cubs appeals to me. Love your framing. Gabby the colours strike me to not in a bad way just how in tune colour of soil and animal can be with each other in nature...would this work in B&W?
    Yes please I'd like to see charlie ash and others

take care

stu
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, I just love, love your intro -what a great read, and what a great image too. I like the light on all the lions, shows up their coats nicely, and good to see some dust flying from the commotion. Excellent detail throughout. Well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Stu, such kind words, much appreciated my friend
    Gabriela Plesea