Thread: Approaching Wild Dog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Approaching Wild Dog

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the benefits of Mana Pools NP is the ability to leave your vehicle and head off on foot to approach wildlife, slowly & carefully lying on the ground enabled me to capture a sub adult from the Nyakasanga wild dog pack investigate my presence.

All 3 known WD packs from Mana were likely denning whilst I was there, the frustrating part was they weren't denning in any of their usual sites.

If it wasn't for working with Peter Blinston from ZIM Painted Dog Conservation over my last 5 days using radio tracking, locating just 5 sub adults from this pack would have been extremly difficult.

The road is what it is, for this time of year with long grass everywhere, it was more of a blessing.

Sadly this trip was more memorable for finding dead wildlife than live ones, I found both a young leopardess and sub-adult WD that had fallen victim to the local pride male and one justifiable reason why WD were scarce..................nature's way.

Mana Pools- Zimbabwe, F/F, lying flat on the ground, curves, levels, TX adj's in ACR & PS CC '17

Nion D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR
    1/1250s
    ISO320
    f/5.6

Cheers
    Marc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, love the low POV and the eye contact. Nice you got low for the shot. Wish the grey patch of grass in FG was not there but not a big issue at all.

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture Marc, I really like this a lot

Superb POV. The stare from the WD truly makes this image for me. Love the colours and tonality on the subject, frame well composed and processed. I would try reduce the bright branch/tree trunk in the BG though.

Off topic but just briefly, right now I am wearing a T-shirt with a picture of a wild dog on it

Have a wonderful evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I saw the colour palette in the thumbnail I just knew this was from Mana.
    So glad you found the dogs, they are not easy to get shots of this time of year for the reasons you mentioned. Killer angle and lovely pose.
    Hope the trip was amazing!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Great low pov and eye contact as others have said. I don't mind the road. Just as it's the easiest route for us, it often is for them too. Sorry the sightings weren't up to your usual.

TFS,
    Rachel

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice choice of composition and framing Marc with the path leading into the dog. Very nice light and overall a good result

Mike