Thread: Sharpnose Eel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharpnose Eel

Name:  Sharpnose-eel1-BPN.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  362.0 KB

Though I'd post something completely different. This is a Sharpnose Eel, photographed at Blue Heron Bridge near Palm Beach, Florida. It's what we call a 'muck-dive' in that there are loads of little critters all hiding in the muck on the sea bed and you go out and see what you can find. The main issue is the visibility as overtime you or the animal move you stir up the bottom and put particles in the water.

At first I thought this was some kind of sea snake until I did some research later on. He was sliding around the sea bed so I held still and hoped he came in close. As he approached he raised his head, presumably to test out the smells in the current, just long enough for one frame, which I thought may be more interesting than a normal side on view.

Canon 1dx in a Nauticam housing
    Canon 100mm L
    ISO 200
    1/100th /f14
    Twin Sea and Sea YS-D1 strobes.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike. Lovely image with great pose of the eel & the raised head is a bonus. Love the lighting and exposure you got and the comp works fine.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something different indeed Mike, I agree this is a more favourable and intimidatory head-up pose than what would have been.

The eel is also capable of some nice camouflage, might have tried a wider view if this isn't F/F?

TFS

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although the head is placed to the left mike and some might want it to have a little more space this really works for me.As well as the deep fascination I have of what you do under water (steady buddy) this one really grabs it's the raised head and those stunning orange markings. A completely new species for me too boot mate. those tubualr nostrils are quite something mike. love the tail running away through the frame,very very enjoyable to view Mike as well as being different..... great work again !!

take care

Stu

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - Definitely a very different species and fun to see. I too like the pose with raised head showing off the markings. You did well on the exp of the whites and the eye pops nicely. I also like the way the curve of the eel leads us through the image. Well done.

TFS,
    Rachel

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see something different Mike.

If this isn't FF then I might be tempted to drop the whole crop down to have a sliver more below, I feel it's a bit tight as presented. Might add some Contrast or a Curves adjustment from the snout down to get a bit more Clarity/definition.

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, wasn't too sure on the crop, there is a little more space around if needed but its nothing particularly interesting, which is why I went in a little tighter. I'll have a think about a change

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got some nice "attitude" from this Eel, Mike!

Well exposed and the dark BG adds an element of danger to the scene, subject stands out nicely and I like the threatening pose.

Nicely processed and presented overall, having read Steve's suggestions above I am curious whether you could add more "pop" to the subject, would love to see an RP from you if you have time.

I truly enjoyed this, an unusual image of a species I have only heard about. I have not had the opportunity to see an Eel in real life, have no idea of its size but quite fascinated with his colouring and patterns, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture Mike. These are very cool eels. I first saw one on Cayman Brac a few years ago and my first thought was "is it a sea snake?" until I got a closer look. It feels a tad tight to me as well.

16. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post