Thread: unCommon Tern

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default unCommon Tern

Attached Images Attached Images

Nickerson last Tuesday evening. The light was nice shortly before sunset. There was a breeze from the southwest. I was trying to capture the moment that the Terns banked into a dive. The breeze was almost parallel to the shoreline, but had a slight vector off the ocean. The Terns would cruise along the breaking waves, and suddenly go into a dive, so quickly that more often than not they would disappear out of the frame before I could click the shutter. If I was lucky enough to capture them, they had turned into the breeze at the moment of banking, so their heads were just slightly away by the time they dove. This is one of the few where the eye is visible. Only problem is that missing wing, but I found it interesting.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! I never saw a one-winged bird before. Sharp with a perfect exposure. On the way to the Galapagos in 30 minutes :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. Have a safe trip, and enjoy those Blue-footed Booby dances.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light love the composition and the pose on the bird the one wing is great.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an extraordinary two days of shorebird displays it was. This great, one wing capture is unique. The aerobatics of the Terns was remarkable.
    Beautiful evening light, sharp against the BG blues and grey. Nice detail on the eye.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu