Thread: American Oystercatcher close up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Oystercatcher close up

Attached Images Attached Images

In keeping with this months theme, here is a close up view of a young American Oystercatcher. The light was fading fast and I had my f stop at 5.6 (wide open with the converter attached) to keep my shutter speed as high as possible. Shot at Nickerson Beach a few weeks back. The bird had been feeding at a reasonable distance from me and I posted a picture of it previously while it threw its catch between its beak. Then it just practically walked right up to me. It got so close that its parents flew in and gave it a good scolding. Typical behavior of a youngster. . This picture was taken just before the parents flew in scolded me and the youngster while it stopped and just stared right at me. I think this fits the theme well as bird was very close and just at minimum focus distance and the shallow depth of field really highlight the head and eye. These young oystercatchers have more smoky and mysterious eyes to me than when they are mature. Also their heads and backs are much more orange than when they are mature.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. Tripod mounted with legs fully splayed. ISO 1250, F5.6, SS 1/1600. Processed with DPP 4.6.3 and PS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light here also like the crop and the detail on the bird.

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Isaac -- I love the light (and the shooting angle), the detail on the face and eye and the sand on the beak. DOF works for me. Interesting about the differences between the juvis and adults. TFS

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, great subject for the month's theme, and gotta love the light in this. Im fine with the DOF, as the main focus is on the eye and beak. If this were mine, I would maybe take a bit off the top.

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post