Thread: Bee-eater attack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bee-eater attack

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this image of bee-eaters in Hungary this June.

The bee-eater to the right was sitting alone on a branch cleaning its feathers. Suddenly, the other bee-eater came flying and grabbed and twisted its head very violently.
    It happened in a split of a second and I only managed to get the shot as I had already focused on the sitting bird and was about to take a picture.

Canon EOS 1DX Mark II with the 500mm f/4L IS II
    1/2500 sec at f/4.0 and ISO 2000

Please let me have your comments to the image. Also, does anybody know if this is a "normal" behavior?

Regards Steen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is of those "almost " images.
    The action is amazing but the branch intersecting across the birds face and eye is most unfortunate.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Neat behavioral image that could have been improved a lot in post-processing as the face of the attacking bird is way too dark. With 5 minutes in Photoshop. NIK 50/50 recipe on the dark face. Then selectively sharpened with a Contrast Mask. Then pulled the Curve up a bit. Next was Eye Doctor work using Tim Grey Dodge and Burn. Last was a 20% Linear Burn on the far too-white wing.

Details are all in the The BIRDS AS ART Current Workflow e-Guide (Digital Basics II). Or see the Sticky on this page.

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 08-07-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

Thanks for taking time to show how to improve my image - and a fineimprovement it is!

Obviously, I need to spend more time on post-processing and learningthe skills. Fortunately, I have already bought most of your e-guides beinga good starting point ... ; - )

Regards Steen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome. NIK 50/50 and Eye Doctor stuff. Get studying! If I can do it, anyone can .

with love, artie

ps: make sure that you have the new Workflow e-Guide, DB II.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.