Thread: Red-crowned Cranes taking flight late in the day/Tsurui Itoh Sanctuary, Japan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-crowned Cranes taking flight late in the day/Tsurui Itoh Sanctuary, Japan

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the 2017 Japan IPT with the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens (at 312m) and my favorite bird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2 stops off the grey clouds: 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. AWB. LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: +1. Two rows down and one AF point to the right of the center AF Point/AI Servo/Expand/Shutter button AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point fell on the tip of the bill of the bird on our right. The assist points surely helped in this low light/low contrast situation.

You can learn more about why I was proud of this image in the blog post here.

As for the image, all comments are welcome.

With love, artie on the way to the Galapagos
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 08-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great syncopated action against a lovely sky. Good quick work to achieve the image as you had visualized it. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorites of yours Arthur -- really like the matching poses, snow getting kicked up, lovely sunset colors and the mountains and trees. Really nice stuff. Safe travels to the Galapagos and excited to see your images from that trip. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    One of my favorites of yours Arthur -- really like the matching poses, snow getting kicked up, lovely sunset colors and the mountains and trees. Really nice stuff. Safe travels to the Galapagos and excited to see your images from that trip. TFS
    Thanks Alex, Everyone on the blog tore it up :) Do see tomorrow's blog post for my retribution. If you'd like info on the 2019 August Galapagos trip, shoot me an e-mail.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, love the action and subject matter, not crazy about the crop, I would go with more of a pano and remove a bit of the branches and sky.
    Just my honest opinion, I tried it and it looked good IMO.

With Respect -Tim

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

pretty cool shot Artie, it feels very cold from the image
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    pretty cool shot Artie, it feels very cold from the image

Thanks Arash. It was not terribly cold in 2017. Probably about 28 degrees F when this image was made.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Artie, love the action and subject matter, not crazy about the crop, I would go with more of a pano and remove a bit of the branches and sky.
    Just my honest opinion, I tried it and it looked good IMO.

With Respect -Tim
    Thanks Tim,

Too much off the top?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Tim,

Too much off the top?

with love, artie

Artie, I really love it now, brings you right in on the action… fantastic.

-Tim

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing image for the symmetry in both birds, their positioning in the frame and the cold the image conveys.

I am interested to read the 5D MkIV being your favourite body now. Would you kindly elaborate on that? What would make it better for bird photography than a 1D series body? Thanks Artie. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, There is lots of elaboration in the My Concise Comments on Four Canon Camera Bodies … Considering the Canon EOS-1DX, the Canon EOS-1DX II, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, and the Canon EOS 5DS R blog post here.

with love, artie