Thread: Into the Light- Tiger Heron

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Into the Light- Tiger Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this in Costa Rica last January 2017. ( I am still working through those images )
    The heron was feeding in a mangrove swamp ( those are the roots sticking out from the bank) and stepped out from the shade into this one sunny area. I was way overexposed but somehow was able to save the image in LR and CS 6.
    Canon 1 DX
    600 mm and 1.4 x
    ISO 2500 SS 1/250 f 5.6
    Lots of PP on this one- mostly reducing exposure by a full stop , levels and NR to BG and DE to heron.Small crop to 75% FF.Cloned out one root that was very bright and intersecting with neck.
    Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one really stands out for me Gail, I love this type of almost abstract lighting. The bird could almost have been 'designed' for this shot with all those stripes and the contrasting yellows, and facing towards the light has made the most of the light. Even the slightly facing away head angle doesn't detract here - its one of those scenes where lots of little individual parts would't work on their own - but they all come together to make a very pleasing shot.

Not sure if it needs a hint of rotation, might just be an optical illusion from the far bank,

Mike

3. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one Gail. I think the final image was worth you time/effort. The light is great and the HA/profile is just super. Saw one of these in CR this year myself but - alas - nothing like this. Good "save" (on the OE). :)

Joel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most definitely worth the salvage effort, Gail. That shaft of sunlight created a bit of magic. Nicely done.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yup, I agree with Bill. Lovely image, definitely worth the work. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A striking image Gail, I think you have done a good job, certainly worth the effort.