Thread: Alligator Snapping Turtle

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Alligator Snapping Turtle

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image near Lake Apopka as the turtle was moving from one canal to another. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 900 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like a big one though i've never seen an alligator snapper before. We just have regular snappers where i live. Nice detail on the turtle.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow I like the composition, it works well.
    Now this may or may not make a big difference but I would try at raw stage (or use your TIFF and go back to Camera raw filters) in HSL select the blues and lower the luminosity, let me know what you think.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe - Interesting to see a different species and to see this one out of the water. I like the low pov but wonder if slightly higher might have avoided some of the grasses. I'm not familiar with these to know the colors but there's a lot of blue coming through in the body and shell and to a lesser extent cyan and magenta. Hope to see more.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, a nice posting of something I certainly would not like my fingers near.

Personally I would've gone lower, but I appreciate that this might not have been possible from previous exchanges, although with the head angled up, I would have been tempted to shoot portrait too, with more to the left and less to the right. The DoF looks about right, perhaps a bit more DoF say f/7.1 may have helped as you were quite close I think, but no deal breaker. The colours do look a bit off and I might revisit the WB and then where applicable target key colours and if you added any saturation zero it then adjust. The blacks and contrast are running high with major clipping in the shadows, reducing this in the RAW will help detail. Everything in the FG is sharp and perhaps conflicting with the subject, pegging it back so it's more of a gradual transition I think may help, ditto above or just run a little NR there. You could also play with some Exposure adjustments too, if inclined to bring some depth back top right lower bottom, but all personal tastes, just watch the brighter highlights too. Would love to see more from this encounter Joe.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 08-05-2017 at 01:18 AM.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, a nice posting of something I certainly would not like my fingers near.

Personally I would've gone lower, but I appreciate that this might not have been possible from previous exchanges, although with the head angled up, I would have been tempted to shoot portrait too, with more to the left and less to the right. The Dog looks about right, perhaps a bit more DoF say f/7.1 may have helped as you were quite close I think, but no deal breaker. The colours do look a bit off and I might revisit the WB and then where applicable target key colours and if you added any saturation zero it then adjust. The blacks and contrast are running high with major clipping in the shadows, reducing this in the RAW will help detail. Everything in the FG is sharp and perhaps conflicting with the subject, pegging it back so it's more of a gradual transition I think may help, ditto above or just run a little NR there. You could also play with some Exposure adjustments too, if inclined to bring some depth back top right lower bottom, but all personal tastes, just watch the brighter highlights too. Would love to see more from this encounter Joe.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I will go back to the original and use your suggestions to tweak it.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will go back to the original and use your suggestions to tweak it.
    Joe, let me know if you need some pointers in % numbers.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Joe,

A very interesting and prehistoric looking turtle, thank you for sharing. This snappy character surely does not make a good pet!

Techs look good, very nice pose and the composition works for me. A few blades of grass a tad bright in the FG and I would tame them a little. I do agree the blacks look a bit clipped and subject too contrasty in places. Would love to see an RP with Steve's suggestions, and if you have more images of this turtle do bring them on - always exciting to see new species
    Really good to see you posting here in Wildlife. I am sorry I never got to comment on your avian images, but I did have a look from time to time - wonderful work dear Joe

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea