Thread: Quarry Barn owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Quarry Barn owl

After seeing Doug's Barn owl post it prompted me to re-visit a shot i got last week in the Quarry.
    This is only a small quarry were the Little owl and Kestrel have always nested ,i have always thought that for such a small quarry to have a Kestrel and a Little owl in the same area just feet apart was special ,however this year in winter i spotted a couple of other birds ,the first was in early April /May were i spotted Ravens with young ,i had always thought i could hear them but i never believed they would have nested and raised young .
    The second was a pair of Barn owls who i thought had just passed through due to having there territory disturbed ,that was around Feb/March ,i did get a record shot and noticed one one ringed ,after a while i totaly forgot about the Barn Owls until a couple of weeks back were i spotted two Juveniles on a ledge just 30 feet away from the Kestrel nest(who also raised 4 young ) the juveniles looked in top condition so it apears the adults were bringing plenty of food in ...sorry about the long story but i thought i would share a bit of info as well as share the pic.
    I have lots of Barn owl shots from a few hotspots in my county but to have a pair so close as been the high-lite of the year for me,and if they stick around i could be in luck for some nice shots next winter .

Canon 1dx mki 500mm f4 at f4 iso 1600 1/800sec +1/3 ev
    Name:  36006551601_87d680e41a_o.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  395.5 KB

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Excellent work. Love the sharpness and the colors, and I love that I can see his eyes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the contrast between the greens and the owl. Nice wing position on the bird as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis I reckon one of your best - well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful details on this one. Really like the orange tones of the owl against that green grass. I would be thrilled to see one of these flying in the open like this. If being super picky, I feel the owl is banking slightly away from us and the small part of the rear wing sticking out from the face is not ideal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully sharp on the facial disk, and lovely colors of the owl that look great against the green background. I might be tempted to get rid of that little bit of the far wing.