Thread: Great Blue Heron with Armoured Catfish...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron with Armoured Catfish...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida, last December. I revisited the image and reworked it today with improved post processing skills. When I look at images of herons with fish with these spines I wonder how they can swallow and eat them without puncturing the digestive tract. I guess it is swallowing the prey head first and then strong stomach acids. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 500 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017, canvas added at the bottom for 4x5 crop
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 07-29-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, a picture of a bird with breakfast is always welcome! I don't mind the crop at all but I think the deep shadows detract from the image a lot.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adhika Lie View Post
    Joe, a picture of a bird with breakfast is always welcome! I don't mind the crop at all but I think the deep shadows detract from the image a lot.
    Hi Adhika, thank you for viewing and commenting. Your right regarding the shadows, but not much I could do because of the angle the bird chose to fly. I have raised the shadows in post processing but still dark with the Florida bright light. Not often does one get a chance at a heron with a fish this close so I kept the image and posted it.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A dramatic image. Despite the dark shadows (Not much you could do there...) I think this is a great pic (That is one amazing looking catfish!)

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Great one Joe! Love the details on the fish body and lower feathers of the GBH. I only wish for a less harsh light/deep shadows.
    TFS