Thread: Peregrine Falcon screaming at her mate

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peregrine Falcon screaming at her mate

Attached Images Attached Images

While watching this female Peregrine resting and preening on the edge of this cliff she suddenly looked to her left and started screaming. Then I saw the male come and land right nearby. Wonder if this was giving him a talking to because he came back to the roost without dinner! From March in Alpine, NJ. Taken in late evening and soft light, moments before the sun went behind the treeline.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii. ISO 1250, F7.1, SS 1/1600. Tripod mounted with legs fully splayed while I was kneeling in snow and ice.

Processed DPP 4.6.3 and PS.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 07-28-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, Nice shot, good light, open mouth and details, a little to much sky for me a tighter crop if you have room.

-Tim

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed, i agree maybe too much sky, it gives the impression a slightly cold image.
    It was of course cold, I wonder if the image would improve with just a slight increase in colour temperature?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Love the calling pose. If the image quality is there I could see a portrait eliminating the rock perch. The feet are hidden and the rock doesn't add much. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, nice calling pose indeed! I really like the fact I can see the left wall of the mouth cavity. I agree with Joe's assessment above.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Isaac, Nice shot, good light, open mouth and details, a little to much sky for me a tighter crop if you have room.

-Tim
    I agree. Great job
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Great details and pose. Loved the soft light on the bird and agree with others about a tighter crop.
    Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have about 700 sharp shots of this female in every position.She sat on that cliff for a long time preening and looking around. Many were taken with the 1.4x iii attached and I have posted a few of them before. Eventually I took the 1.4x off and wanted to get more of the environment that the bird was in, especially when the light was fading. So I purposely picked a looser crop because she is looking up and away so I gave it more room for her to scream into. But I understand wanting to see a closer view of this beauty. And Jonathan it was a bitter cold evening. I was standing in a foot of snow and the light at that time was not warm at all so I chose to leave it.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 07-29-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Went back and cropped some off of the top and the right. I like this version also. Thanks again for the suggestion.