Thread: got milk?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default got milk?

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of one of the 2 year old cubs reminded me of the old "got milk" ad campaign. The cub had just finished nursing.

Canon 7D2
    300 f2.8 II
    1/2500
    f5.6
    ISO 800
    Tripod, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, TK lumo mask, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, a cute moment and the pose & eyes of the cub says it all. Wish that grass reed was not intersecting with the snout but that's not a deal breaker. Nice details and light. Good BG too.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Very sweet, and quite big for a cub, isn't he?

Super techs, subject tack sharp, lovely detail. I really like the colours and tones here. Love those distended nostrils, never saw the ad you mentioned above but I think I get the idea:) BTW, is that milk on his muzzle?

I particularly like the BG, it is stunning. The grass near the muzzle a nice touch, not sure about the two faint stalks L and R of the subject's head as I find them a tad distracting. The comp works for me.

A vivid image of this delightful young character whose expression you have captured beautifully. I really enjoyed viewing this tonight, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and Gabriela. Gabriela - the Got Milk? ad campaign featured a number of celebrities photographed with milk mustaches.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot, Rachel. You seem to have had some great bear opportunities. The nearby vegetation doesn't always cooperate though!

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, as presented I feel moving to the right would have perhaps offered a better POV seeing a tad more from the LHS and the irritating grass would be then more over the side of the neck rather than the mouth. Being on a tripod I would have dropped to ISO 400 which would have still given you enough SS, but also a tad more IQ on the 7D. To me the grass does look very saturated with a lot of yellow coming through, but that's just my take. I might have adjusted things more in line of being slightly more muted, but greater tonal range in there so you still have the depth, but as I said that just my take and you were there . Did you lighten the nose, as it does look very light grey instead of a darker black, just an observation, likewise the 'colour' fringing on the neck just below the ear might be from masking?

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn and Steve. Steve - nope, no lightening of the nose. Don't think the color fringing is from masking as I feathered the mask at about 40 px but will take a look.

Thanks again,
    Rachel