Thread: Making Prints.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Making Prints.

I have been trying to have some prints made. When I send the jpegs to the lab some prints come back darker than what I expected.I know that monitors are brighter. I have the jpegs exposed properly. I t seems when u go through post processing levels seems to make the tones darker or more contrast. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a problem I have had also. The only solution I have found is to make adjusted files for printing. It is a lot easier if you are printing your own (but that also creates other problems and cost)
    Room illumination is one factor that affects how we view an image. And a print will never be as bright as an illuminated screen.
    If you use the same company to print your files, you should have a series of small prints made at different brightness levels. When you judge them you can get a good idea of how much adjustment you should make to the files destined for printing.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mitch for the reply. I sent in five proofs and did what suggested . But still some came back darker. It seems like a problem I will have to keep in mind when making prints. I think it will be hard to come up with a certain formula. Because every print differs in tonal properties background on one is light versus darker on another. Thanks again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you try your lab's ICC profile? Many of them offer this if you ask (or have them readily available online). Calibrating a printer is different than calibrating a monitor.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dan , I have heard about the profile but they had me send in five proofs and said to calibrate off them?Not really sure how you do that. My big thing was prints came back darker. I understand that the monitor is going to look different because it's back lit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, it can get tricky. Believe it or not I've had great success with Costco. Great prices, and the service excellent (at least at my local store). They use archival Epson paper and keep their printers in tip top shape.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Avoid this only by editing the photo, making it a few tones lighter. I often faced this problem before.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the response Mary . Yes I agree do have to lighten up the image. I tested one and it was definitely better.