Thread: Fairy-Terns in love.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fairy-Terns in love.

Attached Images Attached Images

The wire is what it is. Oddly enough, the urban areas are exactly their habitats these days, at least in Hawaii. Hundreds of tourists and beach-goers, high-rise apartment buildings and bus stops around, and these guys don't seem to mind any of that. I've never seen this behavior in any other tern species.

Nikon D700, 300mm+TC1.4, f5.6, 1/1600, iso400.

Thank you,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful situation, captured at a tender moment. I can almost hear the bird on the left's pleasure - the fluffed up head feathers convey its state of bliss. As for possible improvements, I'm not clear why you chose this composition - perhaps you could provide more on that? Some lighting adjustments could also improve this IMO: lightening the dark undersides a little and lightening the bird on the left which currently looks a bit 'dirty'.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat looking birds like how the right one is poking the left one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    As for possible improvements, I'm not clear why you chose this composition - perhaps you could provide more on that? Some lighting adjustments could also improve this IMO: lightening the dark undersides a little and lightening the bird on the left which currently looks a bit 'dirty'.
    Thank you Glenn,

The composition was a bit of experiment, tried to make the wire smaller, and get some as much of the deep blue as possible (this was a crop from landscape).

About the brightness, I don't know, I liked the feather details. I was losing them if the image was brighter, so I went a bit to the extreme. I guess I should brighten a bit the left bird selectively.

Thanks,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Pretty neat looking birds like how the right one is poking the left one.
    Thanks John, they do this a lot. I have a bunch of images in all cuddly poses imaginable :) .

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

What an adorable poe.
    I agree with the comments about the white but I don't think the solution is to raise the exposure again. The attached image has just been through Nik White Neutraliser with no changes to exposure.