Thread: Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Pushing the ISO on this one, morning overcast, dim light. I wanted to keep the shutter speed high because of movement of the bird and the two mosquitoes. Image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
    1/2500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 5600 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017, noise reduction to the background, the bird's bill, lore, and eye, canvas added on the left side for composition
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your PP work is excellent Joe. Mosquitoes add a fun element.
    The eye looks great.
    I am not sure why you wanted SS so high (mosquitoes don't move that fast!) but I would have traded SS for DOF in this portrait.
    I think the added DOF would have added a bit more sharpness throughout although it looks pretty good as is!
    Do you have a sliver more room on the bottom? (As always, comp is a personal taste.)
    Enjoyed looking at this ( the viewer who really looks at this gets rewarded by finding the mosquitoes!)
    TFS,
    Gail

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed about the mosquitoes; very rewarding to find them and I really like the composition here since it makes the eye really pops. It also helps to have such beautiful fine feather details.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post