Thread: Hard loving .....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hard loving .....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all ,
    well when seals make love it is not for the faint hearted from a human perspective , quite rough in almost all cases i have seen so far .
    I think for both stress as the female tries to appear and the bull has to keep an eye open for the other bulls that are normally lurking around .....
    The eye of the bull is natural ...a kind of grayish overlay in one eye , might be injured .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC 2017 ; slight crop for comp ; i could have removed some OOF pebbles for an overall cleaner look , but i decided that they should stay .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Nice detail, tones and dof. I agree with you about not removing the pebbles . I do find the brighter area at the top drawing my eye though and perhaps a more pano crop would minimize that effect.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful shot with lovely tones. Your focus point and DoF is perfect as is the POV IMO. I like the open mouth on the male too. The bright horizon doesn't bother me at all. I suspect cropping it out would imbalance the composition.
    PS, the fog in the eye might be cataracts.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colours look great, the bull seal looks as though he has been fighting recently - possibly to earn his mating rights. the more I look the more I realise how well you have caught the detail, fine sand grains as opposed to lumps of sand are visible in the fur.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, a good behavioural capture and I'm surprised at how much DoF you got at f/6.3, excellent detail, nice work. The low POV works and I'm glad the dark horizon did not insect the body/head of the seal. Is it more seals top right? Agree on not cleaning up the pebbles on this one.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, this is a really good image with nice behavior & interaction. Good low POV and the pebbles don't bother me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas you have caught the moment beautifully,as usual from your self excellent detail and sharpness,great job.

Keith.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another superb capture Andreas,

You know how much I like your seal images and the emotion they often convey. This is another wonderful example of your work and so much is encompassed here, from the submissive writhing of the female to the dominant and aggressive look of the male. The scene appears somewhat painful and terrifying and there's a sense of imminent danger: you are in fact presenting us with something that often happens in nature and which might repel the odd viewer, but certainly not one who is able to appreciate its aesthetic value:) Apart from the behavioural aspect, there is also an element of "seriousness" in this frame which I quite like -not sure what causes it, perhaps it is the overdose of passion from the male or the powerlessness of the female.

I did not mention any technical aspects of this frame Andreas, I think all has been said above. Just wanted to share with you my thoughts and impressions and I hope the above makes sense to you, after all you were there...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea