Thread: Great Crested Grebe wing spread

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Crested Grebe wing spread

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of a pair that have recently nested in the local park and should be hatching in the next week. Last weekend it spent a good half hour giving us some good clear activity and I caught it as it went into full spread after preening.

Canon 1Dx2, 400 DOii + 1.4mkii
    ISO 4000, f5.6 1/1250 Minor crops for composition and highlights on the wings recovered.
    Last edited by Mike Hitchen; 07-26-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful, Mike! Very sharp and the light is very beautiful. Maybe a touch of too much sharpening? I am thinking since the reflection is not shown perfectly, maybe it's beneficial to crop more? Even if you want to include the reflection, I can see this a little tighter. What do you think? I will also try to level the image using the water ripple as a reference.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Adhika

I had noticed the excessive sharpening when I first uploaded it and tweaked the image while you were posting. It look better now. I see what you mean about the cropping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike,

A very nice pose with the wingspan, but it looks bright and a bit thin to me. I may have gone a little too far with the RP depending upon how the light was on the day, but I'd be thinking of something along these lines -

Name:  Mike-H-Grebe-RP.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  371.9 KB

I also gave the BG a little more NR

Is this down at Roman Lakes? Not been for a visit this year.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Mike, always wanted this pose from a GCG. Lovely detail you got and Mikes repost makes the bird 'pop' more. The reflection adds.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike - thanks for your suggestions and repost. The original is actually a bit darker than your post and has an almost painterly feed and I maybe I took it too far in bringing it back up.
    This was at Etherow at the far end of the main lake. The grebes at Roman Lakes have a clutch of 4 that are quite developed - almost as large as the adults but still have the black and white stripes (and damned vocal!)

Steve - Thank you for your comments. I got quite a few of the shakes and the wings stretched from different angles and count myself lucky it did all this in such a restricted part of the lake because they normally move away from people when they come to the bank.

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action and nice symmetrical wing position.What a beautiful bird.
    The OP definitely needs some NR in the BG and some pop.
    Mike P's repost addresses all my issues.
    I am OK with the reflection- could you have gotten lower?
    gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image with a cool looking pose. Looks like ISO 4000 was right at the edge because there is still a fair amount of noise in the image. The repost has added more dimension to the shot so I like it. Well captured in what looks like tough lighting conditions.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

For reference this is the original - no processing just straight to jpg within LR. As you can see Mike Poole's image retains more of the richness.
    I tried to lift the background to separate the grebe but even at the time it took a lot of thinking about it and probably overcompensated.
    Last edited by Mike Hitchen; 07-26-2017 at 04:15 PM.