Thread: Is manual focus the only option to make an image of wildlife below the water surface,from above?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Is manual focus the only option to make an image of wildlife below the water surface,from above?

Guys I've just left a comment on a gorgeous image of an otter. It has struck me that I do know a spot where I have watched an otter hunting fish under water, a magnificent experience for me personally. I then backtracked to me trying to make images of a little grebe here in blighty hunting under water,where I had a camera. Each and every frame the camera focused on the water surface not the grebe below it . So the musing started and this thread with it.

Simply any thoughts or advice please on how best to tackle a situation like this. If it should ever arise again and it might,i'd like better knowledge of what approach one should take.

Many thanks for any thoughts

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm no expert Stu, but if its anything like shooting underwater, then the camera will probably focus on the reflection which in effect is the top of the water. You may be able to do better i the right light at the right angle, and maybe (never used one myself) a polariser filter.

Not sure how helpful that is...

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, yes a polarizing filter will help. Also the cleaner the water the better and the closer to the surface the better because the more light that will hit the subject.

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree - a polarising filter should reduce the intensity of any reflection allowing more light from under the surface, relatively anyway. Make sure you rotate the filter to the point where any surface reflection is least. Your camera's autofocus system works on detecting contrast. The better it can see the contrast and detail in your subject (and not be thrown off by brighter things like reflections), the more likely it will successfully lock focus on the subject under the water. Another tip that you may have though of is to change your position to minimise any surface reflections if at all possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those are all good tips to keep in m mind, but with a fast-moving underwater animal such as an otter or grebe the rates of success would be quite slim I would think, unless the subject would keep close to the surface in clear and still water, or return repeatedly to the same general area in which case pre-focussing in that area would also help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey folks thanks for the replies you are all very kind. A slight derail to say a special goodaymate to Glenn as I believe it is the first time we have spoken and down to business.

Ok showing my novice abilities straight away is a polarising filter an option with a Canon 300 f2.8is (first version not the is ii)? Rachel yes it was your beautiful image than made me ponder. The spot I had in mind I would be quite high above the water,our natives are very shy Rachel,even with my abilities at being sneaky it might be difficult to get very close to the surface,and hence the otter. In my favour the water was very clear I wondered if being vertical over the otter might just help,leastways at least it would help mitigate refraction,but I am unsure if that is even applicable with an attempt at an image like this.

Daniel Mike this was exactly my problem with the grebe: the camera always chose to focus on the reflective water surface,Daniel as you predicted,not much joy image wise. In many ways that was a real shame because the grebe was very close,leastways I was a bit high vertically,but only yards out on the horizontal. I got some very interesting shots,,amazing how massive their feet are,but IQ was horrible !!

Glenn,thank you for the great informative reply. Someone will come back with if a polariser is an option. My budget is a bit tight mate so I only have one lens at this time,so sadly don't have many options. Mind with the groups ideas especially the bit about minimising reflections,if a chance does come and the polariser is not an option,at least I have something to try. Oh buddy do enjoy your stay here it is a wonderful place to learn hope to see some of your work soon

Many thanks all

take care

Stu

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Have you tried different angles? In some cases this can help, especially when talking about a mobile underwater animal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Cuperr View Post
    Have you tried different angles? In some cases this can help, especially when talking about a mobile underwater animal.
    No Mary ,but if a chance comes then yes I'll take this on board. When making images of the dabchick the pov was pretty fixed as it was from a wooden hide above the water level so it's an area that I haven't covered before.

But yes, i'll try this thank you for your time

stu

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    is a polarising filter an option with a Canon 300 f2.8is (first version not the is ii)?
    yes. they made a drop-in filter for it that could be adjusted without removing it. but finding one might prove difficult.
    2nd option to check your drop-in filter holder and see if you have the gelatin holder or the screw in holder. i believe all the long lenses come with the gelatin filter holder. if so, then you need to buy the screw in holder and buy a 52mm circular polarizing filter. but the pain in the *** is, you have to remove the drop-in filter every time you want to make adjustments. so, i wish you luck trying to find the drop-in polarizing filter...