Thread: A cute little Cheetah cub

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A cute little Cheetah cub

Attached Images Attached Images

This little one was trailing the mother & while the duo walked towards us, they crossed between two 4X4s. I was so happy to see the tiny cheetah from up close.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/8000
    f/6.3
    ISO 1600 (I think I could have got away with 800 but wanted that SS up)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a lovely capture Sanjeev, I am enjoying this!

Great timing, love the gait from this baby cheetah and the "attitude", confidence. Framing works for me and I like the space on the LHS.

The light not quite in your favour here, and I did try to lift the deep black of the nose and mouth but couldn't. Nevertheless a super special frame and the colours look natural to me, consistent with lighting conditions.

I really appreciate this post. Having spent a great deal of time with a cheetah family over the past few weeks I realise how difficult it is to keep up with those cubs. They have an endless supply of energy and one needs to keep focus, a little tiring indeed but so much fun!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev was this processed after you calibrated as to me it appears again about a third of a stop darker? From the angle to me the light was coming from the RHS and so it would be much brighter, have you applied a Luminosity layer too??? Agree, a bit high on the SS, but a lovely encounter.

Sanjeev a third up on the exposure and a slight lift of the shadows, WDYT?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela & Steve. Steve yes this was processed before the Calibration. Your RP is spot on with regards to exposure and shadows. I did not apply a luminosity mask. The fine hairs on the nape really stand up as the cheetah cub gets anxious. It was fun to watch them and as rightly said by gabriela the confidence of these little ones exhibit is amazing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve yes this was processed before the Calibration.
    Your call, but if you don't have that many processed and sitting in the wings to be posted, then I would revisit them and create new Output files with the new calibration, they look so much better and would, as I said before, a credit to you.

It was fun to watch them and as rightly said by gabriela the confidence of these little ones exhibit is amazing.
    I bet it was Sanjeev and sometimes nicer to watch than photograph, but often we are torn in which direction.

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - What a cute cub! I like the walking pose and the placement in frame but would like a sliver more below for the cub to stride into. Steve's rp has taken this where it needed to go as far as colors. tones and detail. You definitely need to keep your monitor calibrated. It makes a huge difference.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like you had a nice cheetah encounter. This frame is nice like the light and the walking pose of the cheetah cub.

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev your title is spot on"cute little Cheetah cub"I really liked your OP but think Steves repost just gives it that little lift.Must have been great taking the picture and I have enjoyed viewing it.

Keith.

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post