Thread: whimbrel and wildflowers

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default whimbrel and wildflowers

Attached Images Attached Images

I chose a 16:9 crop to include this lovely real estate. It was a windy morning and this whimbrel at times had his beak tucked away until he would be turned by the wind like a weathervane; reposition and start over again. The setting was farm fields filled with buttercups, lambs, and other wildflowers.

1 Dx
    600mmII
    840mm
    iso 1600
    1/1000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a pretty picture! Lovely light. Maybe the two oof stems close to the bird could be removed?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree - beautiful light, background and scene. The stems next to the bird don't bother me. I wonder if it would be even better with more of the frame on the right and less on the left (but only by a small amt)?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light, nice background like the crop as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely setting Ann, I also think a bit less on the left and more on the right would help, perhaps cropping on the left around the taller pink flower. Some of the highlights look just a bit bright to me on my screen. Love the multi tone BG too. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow this is such a pretty scene. Really like the bird smaller in the frame in that beautiful setting. I see why you cropped it the way you did to include those nice tall stems. I see a bit of a yellow/green cast to the whole image which is very typical for shots like these. Again I do not know the science behind why it happens but it is something that I always address in post. Lots of way to fix that but the one I use most often is just to go into hue/saturation and lower the yellows and then the greens until you get them where you need them. I also think that the yellow in the left most three flowers is clipped. I know every screen is a bit different but on my screen they seem over saturated. Can be addressed in the same manner, or by decreasing the yellows in selective color as well. Many other ways to do that as well but those are just a few. Also I would increase the contrast on the bird a little to make it stand out more. My impression of Whimbrel (although I have less experience with the European subspecies but don't know which one occurs in Iceland) is always that they are a little more of a brown bird with bolder streaking. Easy tweaks for an otherwise really pretty photo.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Looks great and such a beautiful perch. I would consider a tighter crop though! TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann:

Lovely colors, bg., like the raised perch. I do agree with the others about a small crop from the left.

Interesting distribution of sharpness. The grass is sharp, the knees as well, but breast is blurry and the face a bit. Some motion blur/wind? Not a straight DOF issue, and I wouldn't have expected much blur in a standing bird at that shutter speed.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful capture, Ann. Love the slight lean as he copes with the wind. Nice bright overcast light, and I like that you kept some classic Icelandic environment adding to the image. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm in the opposite as most here as I would have preferred a bit more room left and LESS at right (equivalent of pointing your lens about an inch or so more to your left). Works as is as well, and as you point out, this is quite a beautiful setting you had this Whimbrel standing in.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I saw this image I thought "I don't remember posting this pic on BPN"!!
    A beautiful setting for a rather plain bird. Love your crop.
    I would sharpen the breast a tiny bit more but otherwise I like this- especially the line of yellow in the BG,
    Gail