ISO 400 focal length 400mm

1/250sec, f/ 6.3

photo not cropped....
    Birds on the Rapahannock river, VirginiaName:  osprey (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  340.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, Looks like you were nice and close, unfortunatley the image is soft and it looks like you were dealing with some harsh light.
    Try bumping up the shutter speed, f-stop for greater depth of field and ISO to compensate. It looks like you also did some cloning on the background, take your time and you'll get better results.
    Looking forward to seeing more.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann.. Always try to keep your shutter speed egual to or greater than the focal length you are shooting with. If you have the lens zoomed out to 400 mm then your shutter speed should be at least 1/400 sec or greater. F5.6 for one bird is fine bit when you have two you will usually need f8 or f11 depending on how close you are. Raise the ISO if necessary! Keep them coming! I will look for your post and help if I Can

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, Good suggestions above. Also, be sure to have Highlight Alert enabled on your camera and then get in the habit of checking it. This image is way over-exposed and the WHITEs are toasted. And I agree that this is a rare chance to get so close. Now get out and make some more images!

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.