Thread: Found them again

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Found them again

Attached Images Attached Images

After seven years, this time last year these owls completely vanished, with no sign at all over the following months. Spent a lot of hours in April & May trying to locate them, then about a month ago the adult was spotted, not in a spot I would have guessed, but they seem to have set-up in an orchard which is commonly own by two 20st+ pigs!!!!

After a week of watching and very carefully setting up the blind with minimal disturbance one of the adults surfaced. Not the greatest perch, but an old garden roller that was close by seemed to work for a temporary period until I could get more info on favourite places, but obviously outside of the pig paddock!!!

Taken just before 7.00pm as the sun began to set, which also highlighted the cobweb.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) perched on garden roller handle
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4MKIII Wimberley Gimbal MKII & Gitzo tripod (I change the ball head back to this based on a great article Artie wrote)
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/6.3 ISO3200
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

I really like the straight look and the BG color. Perch is not ideal as you mentioned correctly but like the old rust on it. Also, looks like there is a strong green cast in the picture on my monitor.

Best,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ashkan.

Also, looks like there is a strong green cast in the picture on my monitor.
    Just needed a tweak in the Tint, but in doing so it added a tad more to the Temp too, not sure why, the white was carrying 2% more, so balanced it out, this should be better, cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost better Steve. Very nice detail and stare. The BG colours work well here. I kinda like the perch, yes man made, but probably made about 50 years ago. Glad you caught up with them again.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost better Steve
    Got sloppy Will .

Doubt the roller had move for 20 years, weathered and rusty, just needed to get them used to things and in fact no worries, shutter never made them stressed or spooked, just think this one saw it's refection in the lens. Sadly though there was cause for concern later, but that's another story... Hope isle of May proved fruitful or was it Mull?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both, Isle of May and Mull. and yesterday the Bass Rock

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My favourite bird , just out of curiosity when you say found them again , is this a site you watch and is it a baited bird . When you say the shot was taken about a month ago you have done well for a 7.00pm sunset or have a got it wrong...Also whats wrong with Owls leg ,it does not look good to me ,having a good look at the bird and just using my judgement its a Male bird that looks like he as had a tough time , i only see that when they have had a infected leg due to being ringed ,see it a lot on Barn owls(not saying this bird was ringed) i am not a vet but the bird does look in a bit worst for wear..but as i asked previous i dont know what month you took it ,if it was July then this bird will or should be in peek fitness for feeding potential young they may have had as he will be the main food source ...
    On the shot ,i have used iso 3200 on the 1dx mki a lot and i am happy doing that if i dont have to crop a lot ,may i ask what NR you use and if you actualy use it on the bird as well ,i use Neat image and with the 1d mkivi would only do the background ,but with the 1dx i find that if i use on the bird as well its better than the mkiv and it keeps more detail ,or is that me just me
    Last edited by dennis greenwood; 07-22-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool Steve -- the RP is better for me in terms of colors. I'm fine with the perch as it's old enough to look natural and the spider webs are a nice touch. Nice stare and BG. Congrats on finding these guys again -- look forward to more of them! TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No this image or site is baited Dennis, as I have said previously on LO threads, I would clearly state it .

Shot just over two weeks ago as we have had some excellent weather over the last two month and I never worry about light, but a bonus when you get it. ISO over that week was from 1600 to 10k not a problem, but all based on when they would turn up, location and available light, generally around 6-6.30am and around 5.30-6.30pm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Alex, yes a blip on the PP, easily rectified. Yes more to come in the following weeks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    No this image or site is baited Dennis, as I have said previously on LO threads, I would clearly state it .

Shot just over two weeks ago as we have had some excellent weather over the last two month and I never worry about light, but a bonus when you get it. ISO over that week was from 1600 to 10k not a problem, but all based on when they would turn up, location and available light, generally around 6-6.30am and around 5.30-6.30pm.
    Thanks for the reply ,just curious when it was two weeks ago then the sunset would not have been 7.00pm ,that bird looks in bad condition for a bird that should be feeding young now and be as busy as a bee,the female will stay low as he does all the work..not sure if you read all my other post as it seems you replied will i was still writing,but those legs look awful ,only seen this on birds that have been ringed ,especialy on barn owls ,,..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here you go Dennis, embedded Exif details - 09/07/2017, 06.57:01pm

This was one of the first encounters on a day of 'Summer showers' as the plumage appeared to be wet based on further images. At that time there was no sign of any owlets, it was only after several very long days of waiting did the offspring begin to appear staying high up in the canopy of the surrounding trees. These fly free and have never ever been ring, as I am the only person interested in them and the location of where they are no one has access as it's all on Private land.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 07-22-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: duplicated date

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

The RP looks better Steve.

Thanks Ashkan.

Just needed a tweak in the Tint, but in doing so it added a tad more to the Temp too, not sure why, the white was carrying 2% more, so balanced it out, this should be better, cheers.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A long wait indeed, but so glad you did not give up searching for your pretty owls, must have been exciting so see those little fellows again! I absolutely adore them, Steve

Perfectly framed and nice HA with lovely eye contact. Love the detail, colours and smooth BG.

Prey must have been abundant after those summer showers and the owl seems in good condition. Its R leg might display a slight "injury on duty" or perhaps wet and dirty as result of foraging, nevertheless has a good grip on that roller handle.

Thank you so much for sharing, I certainly enjoyed viewing and looking forward to more from this sighting

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats why i asked about the time ,you did say just before sunset at 7.00pm taken in July ,and to me my sunset shots are a good 2 hours away from 7.00pm in July .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry, meant to add Gabriela, if I get a chance next week I will see how things are doing and give you a situation update. I also need a truck load of files to give to Canon, as all the kit is going back into them for it's six month 'wash & brush up' before September and I need those tweaks doing. But as you know, there is a massive amount of data to go through in August from July's encounters, so lets see what's what.

18. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    A long wait indeed, but so glad you did not give up searching for your pretty owls, must have been exciting so see those little fellows again! I absolutely adore them, Steve

Perfectly framed and nice HA with lovely eye contact. Love the detail, colours and smooth BG.

Prey must have been abundant after those summer showers and the owl seems in good condition. Its R leg might display a slight "injury on duty" or perhaps wet and dirty as result of foraging, nevertheless has a good grip on that roller handle.

Thank you so much for sharing, I certainly enjoyed viewing and looking forward to more from this sighting

Warmest regards,
    the owl seems in good condition. Its R leg might display a slight "injury on duty" or perhaps wet and dirty as result of foraging ...Hi,i have been watching and observing Little owls for 20 years this September andd to me the Owls leg along with the claws are looking in awful condition,they are not dirty ,the right one looks like it as been infected at some point ,bad colouring of the claws is down to lack of nutition ,yes wet weather will bring those wroms out but these birds rely heavily on legs and claws that are in top condition ...I have seen this in Barn owls and because they suffer and tend to have to hun longer and harder they tend to be a easy target for prey ...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dennis greenwood View Post
    the owl seems in good condition. Its R leg might display a slight "injury on duty" or perhaps wet and dirty as result of foraging ...Hi,i have been watching and observing Little owls for 20 years this September andd to me the Owls leg along with the claws are looking in awful condition,they are not dirty ,the right one looks like it as been infected at some point ,bad colouring of the claws is down to lack of nutition ,yes wet weather will bring those wroms out but these birds rely heavily on legs and claws that are in top condition ...I have seen this in Barn owls and because they suffer and tend to have to hun longer and harder they tend to be a easy target for prey ...
    Dear Dennis,

I do not claim to be an authority on the species but I do have the right to express my opinion when appropriate ( this, along with critique and comments pertaining to a given image, which ultimately what BPN is all about ). For your information, I have been following for some years those particular owls at this certain location, thanks to Steve who has been so kind to share his wonderful sightings with me.

And I do not seek an argument here - far from it. But I just cannot help notice, given your comments on Steve's image, that you are constantly interested and so persistent in your enquiry as to whether the subject was baited. Regarding those so called "awful legs", Steve has pointed out quite clearly above, the subject of this image was not ringed. Nor was it baited.

I keep wondering why in your comments you hardly mention image quality, composition, colours or framing - this is the very basis of posting in a Critique Forum. And surely you are not suggesting the author of this image is responsible for what you see as "poor condition" of this bird, so let us please give him credit for this frame and PP work.

In addition Dennis, I would like to remind you that BPN is a "Community of Sharing" - perhaps you should spend some time on other members' posted images and add your thoughts, especially critique. I am sure everyone would appreciate it.

Regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I second Gabriela's comments. I too have noticed your insistence that the owls Steve photographs must have been baited, even to the point of forcing him to post a disclaimer to baiting the owls. Not sure what it is, but it is getting a little old to go through this every time he posts an image of a Little Owl.

That said, the techs are spot on as usual. Love the stare and intensity in the eyes. One leg appears to have been injured and bled discoloring the feathers. The perch is what the bird chose, we only photograph them where they are. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

22. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Of course you have the right to your opinion,but i am telling you in my opinion that bird is in poor condition ,i am not sugesting that Mr Kaluski is responsible at all ,i am merely offering my 20 years experience photographing and observing these birds...I also wonder why the Author never comments on my Little owl shots ,i also asked him how a shot at 7.00pm a month ago was at sunset no answer ..you would have to back to April to get a shot at 7.00pm at sunset so i cant see why i cant ask the question....i get passionate were the little owl is concerned and i know more about them and there behaviour than a lot of people give me credit for ...If Mr Kaluski says that this bird as not been baited then i will have to accept that ,also for your information i did comment on the shot i asked about NR etc....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    I second Gabriela's comments. I too have noticed your insistence that the owls Steve photographs must have been baited, even to the point of forcing him to post a disclaimer to baiting the owls. Not sure what it is, but it is getting a little old to go through this every time he posts an image of a Little Owl.

That said, the techs are spot on as usual. Love the stare and intensity in the eyes. One leg appears to have been injured and bled discoloring the feathers. The perch is what the bird chose, we only photograph them where they are. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    One leg appears to have been injured,no the leg as been injured and may not recover look at the claws lack of nutrtion,you get simalar cases were the owl as been captive they dont get the same variation of food as captive ones ,wild ones have to hunt to stay alive ,captive ones dont,,,this wild little owl is not in good condition...As for the other bits about baiting i will keep my mouth shut on that but i have not spent 20 years with these birds without learning anything ,but as they say Knowledge is knowing and wisdom is knowing when to say it...i will concentrate on the CC side of the little owl images from now on ...and with that i will leave it

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One leg appears to have been injured,no the leg as been injured and may not recover look at the claws lack of nutrtion,you get simalar cases were the owl as been captive they dont get the same variation of food as captive ones ,wild ones have to hunt to stay alive ,captive ones dont,,,this wild little owl is not in good condition...
    Well Dennis, suffice to say these are totally wild, for what reason the leg is what it is so we can now close this, it has run it's course.

26. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the techs are spot on as usual. Love the stare and intensity in the eyes. One leg appears to have been injured and bled discoloring the feathers. The perch is what the bird chose, we only photograph them where they are. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

Cheers Joe, thanks for your input on the critique.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,bet your pleased to have your Owls back we the viewers certainly are,another excellent shot Of this little Owl,detail ,sharpness and colour all look spot on to me,eyes are brilliant ,no complaints about the perch it looks really natural ,wonderful job.

Keith.

29. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post