Thread: Golden Hour Egret

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden Hour Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

'bout to go home - but stayed for a little while longer. Glad I did... love the light on this fella.

D500+Sigma 500/4, HH, ISO 320, 3200, f4.5
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 07-21-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Staying to the bitter end usually pays off!
    Cice wing position and nice light. Really nice how the light shows on the feet.
    I would clone in some black in the RUC as I find that bit of blue pulls the eye away.
    There is quite a bit of blue from the shadows on the whites. I would try to remove some of that blue on the back- not all of it (as that would look unnatural)
    Nice frame,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay:

I have the 5 minute rule. I always stay at least 5 minutes more than I planned to, to try and capture those edge of the day shots.

I like the pose, dramatic lighting, but I was struck by the blue tint on the whites as well as Gail.

I also find the framing just a bit tight.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice wing position and pose here. Love the look of the bird against the dark background. Lighting is a funny thing. My favorite time to shoot is that early morning or late evening light. But often times the images in those light are badly over saturated and need some color alterations. On the Oystercatcher that I just posted, I lowered the reds and did a large negative adjustment to the yellows to get a more true look to the bird. I am sure that Arash or someone could tell you the science behind why images in warm light are oversaturated and in overcast conditions get very blue. But I just know that they do and work on them in post to get a truer rendition of the scene.

I did a quick rework of your image to address the issues brought up by Gail and Randy.

I selected the bird and lowered the blue in hue/saturation -100
    In selective color I adjusted the black in the whites - 20
    I then lifted the shadows to get more of the legs to show
    Then added some canvas all around and repositioned the bird a bit to give it some room to fly into.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. I welcome others as I'm just learning.

I'd thought the blue shadows on the white were nice... until I saw the image without (most of) it.
    I appreciate the comments and that reduction and on giving the bird a bit more room.
    For some long all bird photos that I took had this feathery speck someone in the middle that, now I always find the glory in the details and think want to show the bird as large and detailed as possible.
    So, I think I'll need reminding about space and context more often before I REALLy get it.

Thanks for not only posting a change Isaac, but for talking WHAT changes you made... it allowed me to make similar changes (I left in a bit more blue on the feathers as I still do in some ways like it and think it would be natural given a cool blue shadowy area) and experiment for myself.

He's my rework which is very similar to yours, Isaac.
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 07-21-2017 at 04:42 PM.