Thread: Elk

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elk

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II 1/250 sec f7.1

I know you reckon it's a moose, I would have done too having sorted out moose, elk, wapiti and white tailed, but in Finland this is referred to as the Eurasion Elk, but it is occasionally referred to as moose too.
    This was the only sighting we got, image taken in evening light. I liked the raised foot and the sunlight on the trees. All C&C welcome.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - First thing I thought before reading your intro was that this was one of your YNP images and it was indeed a moose. Thanks for the explanation. Nice pose, eye contact and sharpness. Too bad some of that warm light in the upper part of the frame didn't reach the elk.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a fine image of the moose in habitat. I like the head turn and the details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- A nice environmental image and that raised foot reflects it alertness ! Liked the light in the BG as well , wish some of them was hitting the subject . The problem for me is the oof foliage in front of the subjects face , but considering the only sighting you had of the subject it can be considered from my pov .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, nice encounter and I like the fact you caught his/her attention, must be that noisy 1DX shutter . I would have gone to 6400 rather than 3200 for a tad more SS. I'm just wondering if taking the Gimbal not the Uniq might have been better, as you could have raised the plate? I might be tempted to bring some more warmth back into into the top for added atmosphere, WDYT? Agree with Haseeb about the foliage as it's so close to head, I'm wondering about a Luminosity adjustment to help it??

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool scene here i have always liked environmental images like this.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello dear Jon,

To me it is the overall atmosphere of this frame that moves the viewer, and I really like the light and colours of the BG as well as your thoughtful composition with the tree on the LHS.

Love the hesitant pose from the Elk, this feels like a "moment in time" and certainly a scene you'll remember. I wish you had more SS. In the same breath, I must say I would love to have this in my folders - I have never seen an Elk, let alone photograph one in such beautiful surroundings!

Warmest regards and many thanks for sharing,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone much appreciated, the image was hand held from a car window, we were out on an evening safari drive so no tripod. We had all of 20 seconds and that was it I got a few images but this one with the foot raised was a little more interesting.
    I will have another look at a little more warmth for the top. I cursed over that branch by the head, from what I remember a faint ghost went right over the face.
    (Steve I have a Mongoose head not the big Gimbal)