Thread: Romeo & Juliet......balcony scene.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Romeo & Juliet......balcony scene.

Attached Images Attached Images

In a scene reminiscent from Romeo & Juliet,

this big pride male had but one thing on his mind, boldly ascending this tree and climbing as high as he dared forlornly looking up in the direction of his mate.

See an earlier posting here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ale?highlight=

The lioness unfortunately did not read the script and wanted no part of his romantic notions and pretended to fall asleep in the hope he would see sense and descend.

After changing our flat tyre and long past curfew, we left our couple and never really got to know the outcome, I'm guessing he came down not long after we left and awaited his fair maiden on the ground.

Moru- Serengeti NP, TZ. Bean bag -front pax seat, F/F, selective NR, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC'17.

Nikon D810
    Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4tcIII
    f/4
    1/320s
    ISO6400@ 280mm.

Cheers
    Marc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, nice title and a well executed frame in low light. The diagonal branch and the inquisitive look bythe male lion make this image with the female lazing. Just a tad visible face of the female would have been nice but still a fine photo.

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Good to see you posting again. A fun sighting and the comp works. I guess she had a headache. I know the light was low and it was difficult to get more ss or dof but the lioness looks a little soft at this size (unless it is due to compression).

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    the lioness looks a little soft at this size (unless it is due to compression).
    Quite possible Rachel, the lioness looks fine at higher resolution/+ with 27" cal NEC monitor.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely opportunity coming from the inconvenience of a flat tyre. That is a nice composition in what could have been a very complex scene.

8. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi MArc -- I still remember your previous post from this sighting. I still feel the low light has affected the IQ but all in all i loved the mood of the scene and the story behind it is so special .

TFS !

10. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    I still feel the low light has affected the IQ but all in all i loved the mood of the scene and the story behind it is so special .
    I should note this was captured in almost no light at all Haseeb, and a tribute to today's DSLR and simply not possible 10 yrs ago, granted this is the D810 and note renowned
    for it's high ISO capability (ISO 3200 is really it's max here). This was simply an opportunity not to be missed!
    One needs to sometimes push the boundaries of their cameras more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I could see a version with some taken off the right side of the frame. Still a nice frame. Like the lions in the tree pretty cool.

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful sighting Marc, I too would have tried to capture this at any cost By this I mean high ISO, tiny F-stop, maybe even at 1/50s SS:) Love the male "serenading" his female, she looking "coy" and away, a dramatic frame with a very appropriate title. I do understand the conditions you had to contend with and agree with you on the capabilities of D810, I am sure you thought about cropping from the RHS but did not want to bash any pixels. Wish you had the D4 or D5 on that lens! The lioness looks fine with me, I would attempt a tad more sharpening on the male, colours work for me and BG is superb. Do I see a small water hole down below, what awesome place this is

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post