Thread: Trying to catch a snack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Trying to catch a snack

Name:  Frog jumping BPN 2-1534.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  237.7 KB

This was taken early in the morning. The frogs were waking up and I was able to watch their antics (including a romantic interlude). This Bullfrog was trying to snag a tiny Damselfly. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see the little blue Damselfly to the right parallel with the water.

Canon 1 DX mk II
    Canon 400 II DO F/4
    400mm
    ISO 640
    1/2500 sec.
    f/4
    Handheld
    DPP4 and then finished in LR

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa, certainly different and I like the framing and action here, although perhaps moving the whole frame down a sliver may help, or just loose a fraction off the top?

Sadly the SS I feel was to slow to me, the subject appears not quite 'pin sharp' and you could easily have upped the SS with this camera to ensure a sharp file, I don't thinks it down to lack of post sharpening. ISO say at 1600 no problem to get the SS needed to freeze the action, i.e. 1/4000 or even 1/6000 as these are fast subjects when leaping. Folk have this hang up from the old days about ISO, you have the best on the market, and it will deliver, you just have to tell it what to do.

If it was me, then I might be tempted to remove the white highlight 'blobs' in the water as they are distracting, but it depends on your ethics. Overall I would look to creating more tonality and depth within the image using both exposure, Curves and colour to create that within you RAW converter. The light streak across the reflection of the head is a bit unfortunate, just need some more 'Lady Luck' here next time, although the subtle Damselfly is a bonus.

A bit overkill to go from DPP to LR, you really want DPP to PS, as LR is primarily a key RAW converter. I use LR to convert my images and then use PSCC for the final tweaks then reimport to LR for web output, maximising the full potential of both programs. if you use DPP then you do need to use PS coupled with LR for the end product, if that is your preferred choice of route.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa - The local pond certainly presents lots of opportunities for you. Nice action and I like the comp. In an ideal world the pond surface would be cleaner. Steve has given you excellent suggestions for both in the field and in pp.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve has made some good points here, but an opportunity well seen Melissa, the sharp reflection takes this above the average.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve! I used LR because I don't know PS very well at all. I have a tutorial on it but when it comes to choosing between watching it and taking my camera out for a spin, well you can guess which I choose. I think you're absolutely right about a higher SS. I had been taking photos of dragonflies and had to put the ISO on Auto because the flickering light on the water was crazy. At 2500 ss, my ISO was at one point 126000. I saw the frog out of the corner of my eye and just turned the camera on him. I'm going back to the pond this weekend and will try concentrating just on the frog and upping the SS. That light streak across his face in the reflection was so disappointing to me when I saw it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel! Yes, the pond is rather mucky in many areas. It also has myriad reflections from pine trees, shrubbery, and distant homes. Unless I'm there with the sun straight up (so not ideal), the light on the water is constantly changing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa -- You have been showing us some nice variety and this is a lovely image , with the reflection adding to so much here . Agree with what Steve has to say but I feel you have done nicely on the field in getting this action moment.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you haseeb!!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the reflection here Melissa, the leap, the fly all very nice. TFS. Steve has some great advice.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love action shots Melissa, and you were quick to grab this one. Steve is right, do not be afraid to push boundaries as you will learn from every experiment.

This is well composed and I love the splash, I noticed the Damselfly above water on the RHS straight away... BTW, did she survive?

Head angle from the frog not ideal but the action/leap somehow makes up for it. To some extent you can diminish those HL, they are quite distracting. More emphasis need be placed on those patterns and colours of the subject, in PS you have the tools to do so
    Happy to see you posting again and having fun out there, seize every opportunity that comes your way and share with us please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Sanjeev!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Gabriela! I don't know if the Damselfly survived, lol!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Melissa just a little head turn short of a classic,I think you have done very well capturing this just at the right moment,very well done.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Keith!