Thread: Losing Camera Data on JPG Export

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Losing Camera Data on JPG Export

Good Morning Everyone,

For the past couple of months, instead of editing my photos in Lightroom, I have been editing in Photoshop CC. Here is my workflow:

1. Open .CR2 Raw file in DPP4, edit and export to TIFF
    2. Open TIFF in Photoshop CC. Import saved IPTC information and update Basic Data for description and keywords
    3. Save as PSD file and edit
    4. Export as JPG. I've done both File/Save As and File/Export As

I've posted a few photos on a local photography board. This morning, I've noticed that the last two photos I have posted do not show camera information. IE Camera Make Model, shutter speed, f/stop, ISO.

Here is a link to my photos on that page. If you click on the top two photos you will see missing information. The third photo of the bluebird has the information.

http://www.capturedallas.com/users/mcasabar

Any ideas on why this is suddenly happening? Any ideas on what I could do to get this information back?

Thanks!
    Marlo Casabar

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marlo, I'm not an expert on this but have been using 'Save as' and more recently 'Export' under the File menu in my old copy of Photoshop Elements. I'm fairly certain that exif information (which is the stuff your file is now missing) is stripped out when 'Export' or 'Export for web' is used. You might want to test and see if this is happening with 'Save as' as well - I believe that should retain exif data in the file. Having said that, Adobe may have automatically updated something and changed this or there may be a setting somewhere (try preferences or the menu specific options available under 'Save as') to include exif data.

Let us know how you go as others may have the same problem.

Cheers
    Glenn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morning Glenn,

You are correct. When I use "SAVE AS" all camera information is included. When I use "EXPORT" the EXIF data is stripped.

It doesn't make any sense to me as to why this would happen. But it does.

Marlo

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Hi Marlo, I'm not an expert on this but have been using 'Save as' and more recently 'Export' under the File menu in my old copy of Photoshop Elements. I'm fairly certain that exif information (which is the stuff your file is now missing) is stripped out when 'Export' or 'Export for web' is used. You might want to test and see if this is happening with 'Save as' as well - I believe that should retain exif data in the file. Having said that, Adobe may have automatically updated something and changed this or there may be a setting somewhere (try preferences or the menu specific options available under 'Save as') to include exif data.

Let us know how you go as others may have the same problem.

Cheers
    Glenn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marlo
    Exif data is stripped from files for web use because it increases the file size and most files used for web use should be as small as possible to improve page loading speeds. Of course, it's not a good idea for some situations such as yours!

Cheers
    Glenn

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

save data in photoshop by resizing the image and NOT using the Save to Web option

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you use the "Save for Web" within Export there is a drop down menu in the middle right of the pop-up box when saving for web labelled "Metadata." It allows you to include all EXIF data, none, or various copyright info. My guess is that you have this set to "None" rather than "All"