Thread: Three days old and cruising with style

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Three days old and cruising with style

Attached Images Attached Images

This pair was captured in early June. The chick was three days old. I was able to watch from a safe distance, when the two chicks hatched, and it was fun to watch them venture out into the bigger world! I am very respectful of their 'space', but this pair has become very accustomed to my friend and myself. Gene puts out the nesting platform each spring. He was a bit late this year, and the adults followed along with him as he pulled the platform out with his kayak.

This is not typical loon behavior, but because we spend so much time quietly floating around with them, they think we are just some big, ungainly , slow moving sea creatures, not threatening.

In the past, when Gene had spent more time with them, they would allow him to come close, but not me. Now they seem happy with either of us, but only in our kayaks, and not in my usual loon boat. At another lake I go to, the loons are used to me, and will often swim by the boat within a few feet, but Gene can't get near them, since he hasn't been to that lake much.

D500 500mm AFS f/7.1 ISO 200 1/320s

Shot from my kayak. I was really pushing things with this slow shutter speed in a kayak, but wanted to get the highest quality I could (low ISO)

Moderate crop for comp, slightly darkened both pupils.

Advice and comments appreciated,

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Randy. I look forward to your Loon images each year. Amazing how they recognize you and Gene. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another winner Randy, great poses for the pair. I'm not sure how much of an IQ improvement you're getting with the D500 compared to ISO 800 or the like, I'm sure you're able to get more keepers with a higher shutter speed, but if you're getting what you want then its obviously working for you, just not sure its a risk you need to be taking nowadays.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys:

Mike - the dynamic range is always an issue with loons, and so I have been experimenting with different combinations of settings. I do agree that 200 isn't my usual ISO, but I have so many loon images, that I can afford to experiment a bit!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Randy. It definitely pays to acclimate birds to your presence; we have quail in our backyard that let us get within a couple of feet of them when we put bird seed out. I like your idea about experimenting with camera settings to maximize your dynamic range; did ISO 200 pay any dividends for you in that regard?
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah, very nice Randy! The greens look so good with this bird and I love the details in the black. I am curious about the DR saved by the ISO 200 as well!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the great, informative Post about getting used to birds..

I really like the frame and nice green colors...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Very nice Randy. It definitely pays to acclimate birds to your presence; we have quail in our backyard that let us get within a couple of feet of them when we put bird seed out. I like your idea about experimenting with camera settings to maximize your dynamic range; did ISO 200 pay any dividends for you in that regard?
    Doug: According to William Claff, well known sensor guy, the D500 dynamic range at ISO 200 is 9.73, and at 800 is 8.15. That certainly is noticeable on a bird like a loon!
    Just for comparison, the 1 DX II has a dynamic range of 10.22 at IS0 200 and 8.15 at ISO 800. So even the full frame camera def. benefits from shooting at the lower ISO, re: dynamic range.

Obviously, lots of other variables to be considered, but I am revisiting my ISO choices when I can.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

stunning image of the loon with the chick on its back. i love the green background and foreground. I didn't know that iso changed dynamic range, learned something new , thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice low angle Randy and I also love the green. I feel like both the mom and the chick could be sharper though, maybe because of slow ss.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash:

I actually reduced the sharpening on this image, as I thought it was getting a bit "over sharpened". The chicks plumage doesn't tolerate a lot of sharpening in general, it starts to get a bit "crunchy" looking. Would be easy to do some selective sharpening work on the adult.

Thanks

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 07-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, excellent low angle of capture, and you seem to be comfortable shooting from any boat/kayak. I like the overall light, and as always, you have nailed the exposure. Youngster on mom's back totally visible, takes this over the top.