Thread: Red Fox Surprise

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox Surprise

Attached Images Attached Images

I usually go to Algonquin Park to photograph foxes as they are used to people over there. This one, however, was photographed locally. It was a surprise encounter as I was crouching behind some bushes trying to photograph avian subjects when it leapt out of the woods and into the tall and dewy grasses in front of me. I thought it was a cat. I could sort of make out its face looking directly at me through the thick grass stems, and realized it was a fox! When I took a picture it immediately rose and gave the pose you see here, basically a full frame image. It gave another good pose, and then leapt right back to where it come from.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - You did really well with the surprise and quick opportunity. I like the cocked head, the water droplets on the face and the vibrant colors including bg. Sharpness and dof look good too. Interesting that the chin and chest are so dark. I hope you get some more ops with the fox.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, great eye contact, nice details and water droplets with lovely colours. TFS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, if you have it, then a sliver more below to really frame the subject? Was the choice of DoF due to ISO/SS? Like the jaunty HA and the vibrant surroundings.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh! No words here. One of the most beautiful fox photos I've ever seen.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great expression on the face of this fox. Love the greens especially the left side foreground.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel -- This is a lovely image ! I love to see your posts here at wildlife forum as they are of such high quality and does full justice to your subjects beauty .

TFS !

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have captured the moment wonderfully - that sense of inquisitiveness trying to work out what he has just come across: head cocked, ears perked and eye wide. And the depth of field has captured the whole face.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sweet and I absolutely love the HA here and surprised look. Vegetation frames the subject so nicely, framing is great, all works for me as presented

Well seen and captured Daniel - can we have some more from this sighting, pretty please?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea