Thread: Bald Eagle close encounter

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle close encounter

Attached Images Attached Images

For the first time in decades, Bald Eagles have nested in New York City. The nest is not really in a spot where it can be seen but the adults were seen coming and going all spring to the presumed site. A few weeks back there were 2 newly fledged young eagles hanging with our local pair. Staying in the same trees with them and being fed by them and constantly begging for food from them. When they were first discovered they could barely fly. So I do not think that these birds came from New Jersey and were adopted by our local Staten Island Bald Eagles. While it is not 100% proof it is proof enough. This photo was taken yesterday as one of the young birds flew right by me below eye level. Shot is full frame and I added a bit of canvas all around as it was too tight in the frame. I was set with my adapter on and just walking up the beach hoping I would see one of the birds perched on a fallen log or something. As luck would have it the bird rounded a corner and appeared right in front of me. Only got off a few shots and then it was gone for the morning. It spend the rest of the time high up in a tree and screaming for food. I was holding my tripod with the legs retracted. Didn't have time to put the tripod down and remove the camera so just held the whole thing and pressed the shutter. The background is the waters of Raritan Bay. Taken early in the morning.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 640, F8, SS 1/3200

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great wing position and IQ.
    I could see a version with a bit more room all around. I like my space!!
    Not only did you handhold, you handheld with the tripod- I am impressed!
    Gail

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although the BG is water it looks like you were soaring high up with this individual! You did really well. Side light was just enough to light the face. I could see reducing the bluish cast on the wing. Nice warmth on the rest of the eagle. The slightly ajar bill adds interest. Must have been quite exciting for you!

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, very well captured with a tripod - OH you were holding it. Good wing position, and I like the light cast on the head and eye. Before reading your intro, I too thought the BG was sky , but still great as a water BG too.

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet shot of this young bald eagle. Like the background, wing position and light. Interesting story as well.

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very very very nice! Like Gail I also want more rooms all over but hey, not clipping the wings was already a huge win in my book. We need to calculate the total weight of the 1DX + 500 + 1.4 + Tripod.

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice grab shot Isaac. Love the pose and the fact that the head is clear of the Wings and he has an open beak. Not perfect lighting conditions but still turned out really nice. I'd love to have this shot in my files. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

13. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Issac. I like the flight pose, and being full frame, it shows how powerful these birds are. The open bill takes it up a notch.

Will

15. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top marks for even getting this, never mind with the full downstroke. I love the way the face is lit - well captured,

Mike

17. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post