Thread: Bald Eagle close encounter

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle close encounter

Attached Images Attached Images

For the first time in decades, Bald Eagles have nested in New York City. The nest is not really in a spot where it can be seen but the adults were seen coming and going all spring to the presumed site. A few weeks back there were 2 newly fledged young eagles hanging with our local pair. Staying in the same trees with them and being fed by them and constantly begging for food from them. When they were first discovered they could barely fly. So I do not think that these birds came from New Jersey and were adopted by our local Staten Island Bald Eagles. While it is not 100% proof it is proof enough. This photo was taken yesterday as one of the young birds flew right by me below eye level. Shot is full frame and I added a bit of canvas all around as it was too tight in the frame. I was set with my adapter on and just walking up the beach hoping I would see one of the birds perched on a fallen log or something. As luck would have it the bird rounded a corner and appeared right in front of me. Only got off a few shots and then it was gone for the morning. It spend the rest of the time high up in a tree and screaming for food. I was holding my tripod with the legs retracted. Didn't have time to put the tripod down and remove the camera so just held the whole thing and pressed the shutter. The background is the waters of Raritan Bay. Taken early in the morning.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 640, F8, SS 1/3200

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.