Thread: Hyenas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyenas

Attached Images Attached Images

We came across this Hyena puppy feeding at Masai Mara. They were fairly relaxed with our presence & I really liked the way the little one stared down the barrel. Wish the mothers head did not intersect with the shrub in the BG but couldn't help it. In a few seconds the puppy got up and tried to run away but we soon figured that the pup had an injured hind leg & it started to limp in pain. That image will soon follow.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/1600
    f/6.3
    ISO 1600

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours and the DOF and you appear to have the adult's full attention. As you say the tree may not be ideally located but it doesn't spoil it for me.

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Colors and pp look better here again. I like that both heads are in focus and the eye contact. Agree with you that the bush/tree coming out of the head is not ideal. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

From a 'perfectionist' point of view the tree isn't ideal, but the rest of the shot is superb. Both subjects giving good eye contact and the processing on this one is excellent, lovely soft fur detail.

Mike

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Sanjeev -- Another fine frame in terms of pp and colours, nice attentive look by both of them. Agree with your self critique regarding the shrub intersecting the head, somewhat hampering the frame . nice image though .

TFS !

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev good to see you pushing the ISO again here.

I still feel you would have still retained eye contact, but could you not have moved position to avoid the tree? Overall I find it a bit dark, nothing clipped but some gentle refinements in the exposure module I feel just teases out some of the finer detail and clarity you captured within the frame. I also added a smidgen of saturation to bring out some warmth.

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bummer about that tree, but as others remarked it is not an image wrecker. I would also remove that single fly between the adult and young's ears (I'd have preferred seeing many flies rather than just one). I love the poses, mother being relaxed, and youngster being curious.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

Some years back - before Steve told me about a hundred times to pay more attention - I used to get so taken with my subjects to the extent that I failed to notice the tree or bush growing out of their head:) So I don't blame you... After all, this is a special capture many of us would love to have in our folders! Wonderful pose and eye contact with the subjects, nice framing too. Super techs and consequently some nice detail, pose is stunning from both mom and cub. I also like the colours here. And I hope you agree, Steve's RP brings some much needed "light" which by the way creates a softer, gentler mood to the scene overall.

I really, really enjoyed viewing this frame. Apart from the behaviour aspect - which I so appreciate, by the way - it portrays a degree of tenderness which one does not often see from the species. Some see the Spotted Hyena as just mere scavengers, which is not entirely true. Besides being great hunters, they are awesome mothers and so caring and patient with their offspring. Believe it or not, they are so tolerant when the little ones misbehave...

So well done from me on capturing this special moment! I would like to ask you to kindly share some more from this instance if you have, I would appreciate it.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post