Thread: Back-Lit Buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Back-Lit Buck

Name:  Back-Lit Buck [BPN].jpg
Views: 161
Size:  331.8 KB
    A few weeks ago I was out looking for a particular bird and happened to see a group of young Deer playing in the distance. They weren't around very long, but this one stuck around long enough to get a few shots off. I don't often shoot back-lit subjects, but when I saw how the rising sun lit the velvet on his antlers, I couldn't resist.

Nikon D500 (Handheld)
    Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
    1/1600
    f/6.3
    ISO-400
    Spot Metering
    10-15% cropped on all sides to bring him a little closer.

Cleveland, Ohio
    June 2017
    Warm and mostly sunny just after sunrise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot of this fine young buck. Like the lines leading to the buck and the backlighting. Is this a soy field?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - I really like backlit images and have been experimenting with them. This works quite well and I do like how the rim light shows off those antlers against the dark bg. If it were mine I would crop about half the space at the top creating more of a pano comp and avoiding the 50/50 split of the dark bg and the field. I think it also just works better. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel -- This is very nicely done , liked the backlit scene and the patterns in the field are adding to the frame . AGree with Rachel's Crop suggestion, would provide a nice pano scene. But as presented it also looks nice.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Daniel a nice encounter, but whether it's the laptop, or my old tired eyes from a long shooting week, but for me, it just appears thin and needs some oomph? I had gone the other way on the crop, but it can work either way. Techs look OK but I'm surprised no one has suggested a slight change in your shooting set up for this?

Just my take Daniel.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Nice shot of this fine young buck. Like the lines leading to the buck and the backlighting. Is this a soy field?
    Thanks John! Yes, it's a soy field that surrounds a nature preserve I often visit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Daniel - I really like backlit images and have been experimenting with them. This works quite well and I do like how the rim light shows off those antlers against the dark bg. If it were mine I would crop about half the space at the top creating more of a pano comp and avoiding the 50/50 split of the dark bg and the field. I think it also just works better. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Great suggestion Rachel! I just looked at it 16:9 in LR with more surface and less sky - looks wonderful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Daniel -- This is very nicely done , liked the backlit scene and the patterns in the field are adding to the frame . AGree with Rachel's Crop suggestion, would provide a nice pano scene. But as presented it also looks nice.

TFS !
    Thanks Haseeb! I tried a 16:9 crop on it and it looks great. Later on I think I'm going to take Rachel's and Steve's suggestions and RP.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Daniel a nice encounter, but whether it's the laptop, or my old tired eyes from a long shooting week, but for me, it just appears thin and needs some oomph? I had gone the other way on the crop, but it can work either way. Techs look OK but I'm surprised no one has suggested a slight change in your shooting set up for this?

Just my take Daniel.

TFS
    Steve
    It's not your "old eyes" Steve ha ha. Looking at this RP, I can see that it could definitely be improved in post. I'm going to take yours and Rachel's suggestions and RP this later on after work.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

But Daniel this could have been easily addressed 'in camera'.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice scene Daniel. I like the idea and composition. Steve's RP does add that 'Oomph' to the image.