Thread: Stand by for landing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stand by for landing!

Name:  Incoming-backlit-1BPN-2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  387.9 KB

This shot was high on my 'to do' list on Skomer, and the forecast was for 2 good nights allowing plenty of attempts. Unfortunately the second evening clouded over, so I had to settle for this. I like the wing pose but the bright spot on the face really bugs me. Maybe a bit picky, but you know how it is when something catches your eye!

Canon 1dx
    100-400mm ii
    ISO 1600
    1/4000th f 5.6

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know what you mean, about the bright spot Mike, but hey, the dramatic flight pose, more than makes up for it. Love the light coming through the wings and feet. Great incoming flight pose. The BG 'shows' the subject perfectly. I would have a look at a wee bit more sharpening on the head.

Well done

Will

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If not for the lit face, the backlit works really well here to showcase the wings and tail, Mike. Very very nice background, too!

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Try for the Back lit image. I like the details in the wings. I wish the head was not lit.

Thanks for sharing

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding capture! Great work on the exposure. The headlight doesn't bother me one bit.

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the pose and the wing position, I am not usually a fan of backlit images but it works well here just wish the head was entirely in the shade as you commented yourself as well. overall a great frame TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

11. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto all of the above. This took me about 15 minutes. After trying to do it with one flopped Quick Mask I realized that I needed to use two QMs so I started again from scratch. Each warped and refined. Plus more. It is likely that I could have done a bit better starting with the TIFF or even the RAW ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one heck of a nice frame Mike and Artie's repost looks really good!
    Love the backlight feathers and the pose and the direct head-on look,
    Gail

14. Thanks Mike Poole, Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love the back light and pose and Arties quick masks really does a terrific job to an already terrific frame! WEll done. Love the glowing orange feet!

16. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike just want to say ...
    I am impressed love this one a lot and i think you you have done a great job .
    As i am not a lover of such image manipulation ....like Artie did ...i would be more than happy with your OP , even if you have blown the whites in portions of the image .
    I think Skomer is a great place when you stay overnight .....if you go next year ....give me a call .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, great eye contact, and love the back lighting through the edges of the wings and tail. All popping nicely against the darker BG.

19. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Mike - you are forgiven for the bright area! A shot with great impact well done.

21. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Ditto all of the above. This took me about 15 minutes. After trying to do it with one flopped Quick Mask I realized that I needed to use two QMs so I started again from scratch. Each warped and refined. Plus more. It is likely that I could have done a bit better starting with the TIFF or even the RAW ...
    Thanks for that Artie, I did consider something similar, but I'm always cautious about changing too much in a shot. Yours does have the lighting on the head I was looking for though. If you want the RAW for any reason, just let me know, but thanks for the nod on your blog.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hey Mike just want to say ...
    I am impressed love this one a lot and i think you you have done a great job .
    As i am not a lover of such image manipulation ....like Artie did ...i would be more than happy with your OP , even if you have blown the whites in portions of the image .
    I think Skomer is a great place when you stay overnight .....if you go next year ....give me a call .

TFS Andreas
    Cheers Andreas, I wasn't thinking of going back next year, but if we could get a couple of us for a little meet up I could be tempted to try and do a deal with the Welsh Wildlife Trust !

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Thanks for that Artie, I did consider something similar, but I'm always cautious about changing too much in a shot. Yours does have the lighting on the head I was looking for though. If you want the RAW for any reason, just let me know, but thanks for the nod on your blog.

Mike
    YAW. My goal is to make the image look as good as possible And since I am always upfront about what I have done and am not stupid enough to enter such repairs in contests where they would violate the rules, I am fine with what I do and rather enjoy it. The trick here was making two small Quick Masks, one of the shaded side of the bill and one of the shaded side of the face. Each was refined with both a Regular Layer Mask and various stuff under the Transform command. I used Curves on a Layer to lighten the QM of the side of the face. And I fine-tuned the area near the top of the head with the Regular Layer Mask to bring in what might look like a bit of the sidelight.

For me, in the original, there was backlight. But the lighting on the face was simply harsh sidelight.

with love, artie

ps: I will try to remember to write for the RAW when I get home from AK.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.