Thread: Fawn Stare II

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fawn Stare II

Name:  Fawn Stare II.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  263.8 KB
    I was lucky enough to see a few more Fawns to give some recommendations a try. I have no idea how to deal with high ISO noise in post yet, but I'm working on some things. Here it is Steve: ISO-6400 and matrix metering. Went with a smaller aperture in order to avoid the DoF issue I had with the eyes in my first Fawn post.

Nikon D500 (Handheld)
    Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR + TC-14E III
    1/640
    f/8
    ISO-6400
    Matrix Metering
    15-20% cropped away from the left, right and bottom.

Cleveland, Ohio
    July 2017
    100% overcast and muggy late afternoon.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel can you DropBox the file to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that Daniel and yes the file is sharp. The noise is a bit high, but manageable so I think you should feel comfortable in using a high ISO when required to gain SS and or DoF.

The environment is messy and less than ideal, however this is more work in progress and so more opportunities will come up in better surroundings. HH with this lens must be hard I guess (?) and with the 1.4 will only amplify any shake because all it does is magnify, but the image does look good. Hard to be too precise on the laptop rather than the Eizo monitors but I wonder if f/9 for nose to eyes, but for me borderline and your SS would drop. I think not having the extender may have been better as the file is very tight with limited crop options.

Ignore the colour, but I think all you needed was some more sharping, nice reflect in the eye. Hope this helps Daniel, but I feel the key part is that you should feel happier to push the ISO.

TFS
    Steve

4. Thanks Daniel Grossi thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is where i see fawns most of the time in very cluttered surroundings. Nice and sharp though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks for that Daniel and yes the file is sharp. The noise is a bit high, but manageable so I think you should feel comfortable in using a high ISO when required to gain SS and or DoF.

The environment is messy and less than ideal, however this is more work in progress and so more opportunities will come up in better surroundings. HH with this lens must be hard I guess (?) and with the 1.4 will only amplify any shake because all it does is magnify, but the image does look good. Hard to be too precise on the laptop rather than the Eizo monitors but I wonder if f/9 for nose to eyes, but for me borderline and your SS would drop. I think not having the extender may have been better as the file is very tight with limited crop options.

Ignore the colour, but I think all you needed was some more sharping, nice reflect in the eye. Hope this helps Daniel, but I feel the key part is that you should feel happier to push the ISO.

TFS
    Steve
    Great Steve, thanks for the advice. Hand holding this lens is... not difficult once you establish some techniques for doing it (though I look like a maniac doing it). I wasn't terribly concerned with the busy background and all, I was more concerned with creating a usable image at max ISO. ISO-6400 seems to be where I can can still get reasonably good wildlife shots before things get too messy. Regarding that teleconverter - I'm still learning how to use it. I'm getting less than desirable results with it often, but I think the problem is with me and not the gear.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, as I said the best bet is just to get out there, be mindful of the settings i.e. ISO, DoF & SS however you know you can push things, then it's just a case of learning LR & PP. If you area serious about advancing this then I would sign up to Adobe CC and keep you monitor calibrated every month, if your monitor isn't calibrated then you are simply wasting your time as it will drift over time.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - Good to see you taking the advice and suggestions on board and getting out there to try new things. Steve has covered the issues well and despite his being on his laptop, the colors look better. The op looks a little too orange to me.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - A nice close up of the fawn . I feel Steve's RP has remarkably improved the frame in terms of colours and now we can see even more details. great to see you posting so frequently .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Daniel - Good to see you taking the advice and suggestions on board and getting out there to try new things. Steve has covered the issues well and despite his being on his laptop, the colors look better. The op looks a little too orange to me.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Absolutely Rachel! Steve's RP was great. I agree on the orange after seeing the RP, but what really stuck out to me was the taller crop. Why didn't I do that from the get go?? Oh well - that's why I'm here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Daniel - A nice close up of the fawn . I feel Steve's RP has remarkably improved the frame in terms of colours and now we can see even more details. great to see you posting so frequently .

TFS !
    Thanks Haseeb! The more I post - the more I seem to learn, so I'll certainly keep them coming. Time for me to go look and comment on some other people's photos.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel you seem to be successful to get close to the fawns .....i think good knowledge and fieldcraft is necessary to be able to do so.

However i think you did well getting a clear view and one can live with the cluttered BG very well ....

The comp is nice and the eyes are looking great , like wise the crop .I am not too happy with the color and tone in your OP , thinking the oranges are too strong and image appears quite flat from the tonal spectrum POV .
    For sure a matter of taste when it comes to color and tone ....like in Steve´s RP .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Daniel,
    Thank you for sharing another image, so exciting to hear you learn something with every post and I just love your enthusiasm

Wonderful attentive pose from this lovely looking fawn. Those upright and alert ears give him (or is it her?) so much character. I fully agree with comments above, file does looks good at ISO 6400 and Steve is right, don't be shy to push ISO when you need SS:) It is also quite sharp and there's some nice detail. I would have preferred a less cluttered BG though. Not sure "cluttered" is the right word, I actually meant to say those branches are a bit distracting. Not always easy to avoid I know, but watching and waiting when out there in the field is often rewarding, choosing how much of the environment to include and what to leave out can make or break an image. I realise it might have been difficult for you at the time to remove the TC at the time, but have you thought of shooting this vertical (portrait) to avoid the OOF grass and allow for more space at the top of the frame, just a thought...

Daniel, please keep experimenting and I so look forward to your images, hope you have a great week ahead (and lots of PP work, LOL)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea