Thread: Eland

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eland

Attached Images Attached Images

An Eland at Masai Mara. This is a full frame image. Hope the colours are OK this time.
    5D III
    500mm L II
    1/4000
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - That looks like a skinny eland! Colors look much better. I like the comp and position in frame. The head turn and eye contact is very nice. I do think you can probably bring out a bit more detail in the sky/clouds if you are so inclined. Techs look good but you could have dropped ss and ISO slightly if you had wanted.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, looks like a nugget or two has worked perhaps?????

Colour looks far better, but if you have more to the LHS then move the crop left. The image overall looks cleaner, apart from the two Dust Bunnies in the sky, or is it my laptop? Nice detail, but adding some more midtown to the subject will help add some more 'shape/form' to the Eland. Might have gone to f/8 or 9 and so SS would happily drop with no need to adjust ISO.

I do think you can probably bring out a bit more detail in the sky/clouds if you are so inclined
    I tried it Rachel, could work as it perhaps balances top & bottom, but mine did not look right so if possible would be worth a RP and how you applied the adjustment .

TFS
    Steve

PS Are you using Dust removal in ACR?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the detail, the direct eye contact is nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- a very nice image and the low POV adds to the frame. Colours a definitely much better and nicely processed as well . A bit more space on the lhs would have been fine .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a rp done quickly. It would be better to use the RAW. Lots of ways to do it. I used a curves layer, a slight gamma correction and then some LCE.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do think you can probably bring out a bit more detail in the sky/clouds if you are so inclined.
    Thanks for the RP & method Rachel, I thought you saw more than I did, although I'm not sure the RAW would have much more????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hard to tell Steve if the RAW would have more but there is the line of faint clouds along the top.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

I am truly jealous of this frame. I have very few of this species, mostly taken during the 2012 Eland exodus in the Kalahari, but this is just before I joined BPN so not sure I will ever share them:)

This is one lovely Eland in great condition, you should see what they look like in the Kalahari during drought, just skin and bone... Good advice and RP from Rachel above, just make sure you apply those changes selectively.

Nice pose and eye contact is great. I like the uncluttered BG, and fully agree with Steve's suggestion regarding framing.

A very special image Sanjeev, super techs and the IQ is there. A little tweak in places would take it up a notch... Really enjoyed viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea