Thread: Black Rhino

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Rhino

Attached Images Attached Images

A black Rhino portrait. This is the closest I got to a BR in the wild so managed some close ups to avoid the distracting foliage. I was happy to get a chance to see them from close quarters.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/250
    f/5.6
    ISO 1600

2. Thanks Daniel Grossi thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot Sanjeev but I think the colour balance is a little off - how does this look?
    I didn't do any thing fancy - just levels and sampled with the grey dropper in several areas until I thought it looked credible

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon. I think your RP looks a tad green. The time when I got this was late evening and the light was low as you can see with the techs. I reduced blues and magenta selectively in my PP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev always great to see a living rhino ....so got lucky to get that close to a Black Rhino .
    I like that you got the clear view to the face and the tight framing is working well for me. You have lovely details and the sharpness is where it needs to be. Overall tones looking well and you have covered the whole range .....I might try to deepen the brightest HL a tiny fraction .
    Regarding colors ...i am with Jon and i think his RP is very close to be neutral ....it is not a tad green , at least my eyedropper shows some yellow coming through in parts ....

Well done Sanjeev

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, a nice 'pointy' (as Gabriela likes to call them) and close up to. I like the angle and having the vegetation at an angle across the LHC. Good detail, albeit the SS a tad low for me , but DoF looks good. Good to see and know folk are managing to have encounters & sightings of these wonderful animals living rather than as a carcass.

Again I feel having a better WB to build on would help, you have an excellent reference point to tweak, albeit that on the OP you need to adjust the Green via Curves channel. Once you get that you are on your way, a tad of Saturation and some selective colour to bring the vegetation up, it might be a tad OTT, but it may help to know where to back off? On the laptop so can be too specific as per Andreas, but it appears you have a good file to rework or tweak if you have the time. Just to add to the RP and direction. Hope it all helps.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing close-up Sanjeev! Technical details aside, I really get a sense of presence and life from this portrait. Steve's RP pretty much settles any issues I see with the processing.

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Great that you got to see one in the wild. It's always special. I also like the comp and agree with Jon, Andreas and Steve about the colors. I would put Steve's rhino on Jon's bg for the perfect mix. Nice textures and detail too.

TFS,
    Rachel

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- This looks fantastic with nice details coming in . Liked the Rp's of Steve and Jon, would prefer something between them . Overall very nicely done.

TFS !