Thread: Evening snack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Evening snack

Name:  Self-portrait-puffin-style-BPN.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  377.5 KB

Continuing with this months unofficial theme (!) heres one of our clown friends with supper for his pufflings. There is a place on Skomer island called 'the wick' and once the day trippers have gone home you get the place to just you and a few hundred tame puffins - my idea of heaven.

In case you're wondering about the strange reflection in the eye - thats me! I did consider doing eye work but thought I'd leave it for now.

canon 1dx
    100-400 ii @ 400mm
    ISO 1600
    1/640th, f11

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well guess who is going to try to get to Skomer next year sometime! Just beautiful Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, a subject I would to see and photograph one day. Excellent portrait with a beak full of food, and I really like the detail and colours on the face/head. Well captured.

You say once everyone had left, you had the place to yourself - Did you spend the night there ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great light here Mike. Lovely portrait, love the colours throughout, and the nice details.

Well done

Will

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well guess who is going to try to get to Skomer next year sometime! Just beautiful Mike
    Cheers Jon, bookings normally open up in October! I've not been to the Farnes but from what you and others say its a great place, especially for flight shots. Over on Skomer you have the chance for beautiful light if you drop lucky with the weather, which I believe is harder at the Farnes due to the timings there.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Mike, a subject I would to see and photograph one day. Excellent portrait with a beak full of food, and I really like the detail and colours on the face/head. Well captured.

You say once everyone had left, you had the place to yourself - Did you spend the night there ?
    Cheers Stu,

You have the option of a day trip or an overnight stay (usually 2 night minimum) if you're quick on the booking page. The last day boat leaves about 5pm and after that the island will have around 25 people on it comprised of staff and overnighters. Most of these miss the best light as they're not photographers, so you often have a choice of best location with no more than 1 or 2 people around - sometimes its all yours.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait. The sand eels look great and your DOF is perfect.
    Even though the light direction is from the right this still works. Good IQ and wonderful details in the blacks and whites.
    Gail