Thread: Whitetail Doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Doe

Attached Images Attached Images

Whitetail doe during last half hour of light standing on edge of pond. The light was pretty warm here. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
    ISO 800
    516mm
    f6.3
    1/640sec
    Last edited by John Mack; 07-10-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot ISO

2. Thanks Daniel Grossi, Mike Singh thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Nice warm light. Again the saturation seems a little heavy and I also want a bit more room below again.

TFS,
    Rachel

4. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel, would you reduce the saturation in this type of situation? I usually increase the vibrance,saturation and luminance here i didn't add any.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John you are really impressing me with these images, I wish I could get as close as this to wild deer. I appreciate the light is very warm but I would desaturate (for what it's worth I use saturation and vibrance infrequently and then sparingly).

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well based on the description in the OP I would say this looks about right, however I bet the camera has Standard set to for Picture Style which will have certain factors built in although if imported into LR I'm not sure if that will be embedded, it's something I never use as I don't like both camera or Adobe colouring my judgement.

Without knowing the ISO John and if HH or supported I would say that you could easily upped the ISO for more SS based on the light, especially HH and gained a bit more DoF. As the subject to BKG is greater then some extra DoF would not hurt. Again more room below, it's just and no more for me. Perhaps a sliver more to the left for the subject, but no deal breaker and I like the side elevation with the head turn.

I use saturation and vibrance infrequently and then sparingly).
    Sparingly for sure, but Vibrancy will push it the wrong way IMHO and a slider I very rarely use because of what it does to an image.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice image John, I agree with the above assessments of the image, since i also feel it looks a bit strong on saturation but then as described in your intro things dont look way off , nicely done and some more space at the foot would have been nicer .

TFS !

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a familiar stare these White Tail Deer have. The color looks very accurate here given the light. It's hard to add to what's been already said, but I'd perhaps try a flat profile, wb correction after and then -20 to -30 on the highlights. From there (if you haven't done this already) you may see a different approach with the rest of your processing. Too bad her nose is casting that shadow on the other side of her face but there isn't much you can do about that.

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John this image does look very nice in terms of lighting and the posture of the doe , like the stare to the viewer and the overall well balanced comp .
    Colors do look quite well under the given circumstances , but i still might lower the oranges a fraction ( you will get back some detail in the red channel ....is massively clipped ) .How far you go is up to personal pref .
    Good to see a nice separation to the BG , which is very smooth ...

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear John,

Lovely sighting and it is wonderful that you managed to get so close. Subject shows nicely against the dark BG, pose is superb and I love the eye contact. I just wish you allowed more space at the bottom of the frame

Not sure about the colours as I have never seen a Doe in real life. Its coat appears a tad too orange to me as well, however I do like the warmth and light, very much.

Thank you for sharing, I enjoy your images and really hope to see more, nice work

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,wow you are really pulling in these deer images great craft to get so close mate really well done. Maybe a touch warm and saturated,but I don't know your sunsets,so very hard to judge for me ,I also don't know the subject which doesn't help. Mate I love the separation and the dark bkg ,it really makes her pop. Really well done. john listen to Steve on the pushing on iso,he's driven me to images I would not have without his wisdom. I think your camera can be pushed further than mine,but being HH faster Ss must help you.

Very cool John somewhat inspiring too,thank you for that....... I haven't chased deer for a while now,our fawns are born around now,so I dare say they We'll be trying for them soon,leastways the really wild fallow. I've been having a bit of practice with some reds recently ,they are captive,but incredibly tricky to grab images of,but in a great spot for backlit sunset shots.

Keep pushing John
    take care
    stu