Thread: Backlit at sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Backlit at sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

Tried something that I have never done before. While leaving Nickerson Beach right at sundown I saw an Oystercatcher walking almost directly between me and the setting sun. The sky was just perfect and filled with purple and red and yellow tones. Decided it was time to take my first shot like this.

I reduced the reds on the bird a decent amount as the blacks were very red. In selective color I increased the blacks in the black a bit and decreased the blacks in the whites just to make the bird show a bit better. This is one that I would really love suggestions on how maybe I could improve (or not) the shot.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii. ISO 3200, F4, SS 1/2000

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting shot, Isaac. Always fun to try something different. The colors in the fg/bg are lovely, and the low POV is great. I'm not sure what to suggest, but I'll tell you what I would try: increase the contrast in the bird, that is, add even more black than you did; bring out the red/orange in the bill; brighten the eye. I suspect that will make it look very artificial, so I would then put that attempt in the trash. But it might be worth a try.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That had me cracking up Bill! . Your thought process was basically what went through my mind as well. Ultimately I decided that you don't see lots of details or contrast on the bird if looking right into the sun so I tried to make it as close as I could to what I saw. I guess it is more about the light and the colors than the details on the bird. Eager to hear what others think.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh man Isaac -- you finally got me shooting for the perfect sun angle with these shorebirds and then you show something like this ! I really like this. I agree this shot is more about the colors and setting. To me, a major strength of this shot is the bird and the red part of the sunset form diagonal line through the shot splitting it into two major tone groups. Like Bill I think I would try to bring out the eye a bit more but agree it could look a little unnatural.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Colors .. Nicely done...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What I love best about this image is not the end result, but the fact you went for something creative and artistic. Perhaps a touch deeper blacks could work, but I would leave the eye as is. Good thinking!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly and interesting photo Issac. I like the light and colors across the frame. May be a lift in the eye to give a bit more direction to the viewer away from the bright top right. It may or may not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac,I so admire many of your images,I'm sort of amazed you haven't tried something like this before,with your abilities. Anyway just a quick stop by so say how much i love this. I concur on the detail,for me it doesn't need it it is all about light and colour,
    For me an utterly gorgeous frame beyond the light I really like the fact that the oystercatcher is ruffling it's feathers it really adds to this frame.

wicked cheers for sharing( he he I'm meant to be staring at peregrine images but saw the thumbnail and had to visit this,what a wonderful image)

take care

Stu

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post