Thread: Three Little Bears

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Three Little Bears

Attached Images Attached Images

A long wait on the beach for the bears to appear paid off with another long wait for them to wake up. Here something caught their attention briefly.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 330mm
    1/1250
    f6.3
    ISO 800
    HH while sitting on the beach, slightest crop from below and left to eliminate some oof rocks at edge, levels, curves, TK lumo mask, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a moment. The little guy on the right is having to stand up and turn which adds a dynamic to it that adds to the inquisitiveness. Low angle, nice low-contrast background (though it does seem a a tad metallic on my screen) and and what great lighting!

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like how all the bears are looking the same way, good detail. Maybe a little too tight on right.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They are so cute Rachel. Love the HA and eye contact you got. Great light too. Agree the BG looks a bit odd & a bit more room on the right would be nice but no major issue that.

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel always great to see young animals .....a pleasure to watch i guess .
    Having three together ...wow ..all looking into the same direction ....priceless good .
    Love the line up and the fact all having a different posture ....but looking into the same direction .....well timed .
    Techs and detail looking good from my POV ....if this was mine i would keep an eye on the blacks and the fur of the bears in the HL section , as i feel it is very light and could stand some more tone .
    I am ok with mudflats and the sky refection in the water .....as BG

Enjoyed watching , TFS Andreas

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- the best so far from your recent trip , loved the low POV and the three of them looking in the same direction. The details look good and again you have handled that shimmering BG quite well . Very nicely done !
    My appetite for seeing the Bears in the wild is increasing on daily basis with all these Bear images here at BPN .

TFS !

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, would echo Andreas's thoughts on this, but also it does need more room on the RHS, it's a bit too tight. As you cropped on the LHS then I feel you needed to have moved the camera to your right, thus avoiding any issues to a degree on the LHS and avoid cropping, you would then have more room on the right, or just overall shot a tad wider, then cropped.

TFS
    Steve

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everybody I'm glad you like this one. Andreas is correct that the bg is the sky reflecting in the puddles of the low tide. I should have zoomed out a fraction but the bear stood up quickly and looked in the right direction. The crop from the left and below would not have made a difference, they were that insignificant to get rid of bright rocks at the edge.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the way you have caught these cuties Rachel,something really caught there attention was it yourself?enjoy viewing this,

Keith.

16. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Keith. No it wasn't the photographers that caught their attention. It was one of the small planes.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Rachel for me just a tad tight in the frame. My suggestion would be to lower the highlights a little and to lift the darkest a little also. I suspect your tif was fine but conversion resulted in slight compression.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

Your patience paid off with those three little bears! Such cuties and I absolutely love the surprised look from them, especially the one busy getting up.

Lovely colours and tonality as well as detail, the bright BG helps bring the subjects out quite nicely. In terms of comp I am tempted to go pano, a tad more on the RHS would have been ideal but not a deal breaker.

Such a lovely fun image Rachel, the more I look the more I like it. What a special moment and I am glad you were there to capture it, thank you for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I really like this, and very well timed to have captured all three looking in the same direction, and all with a different pose. I also like the browns of the Bear's coats against the blue of the puddle.

Looks like you had a fruitful trip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, Gabriela and Stu. I just didn't react quickly enough to the bear on the right getting up.

Stu - a very fruitful trip for bear images.

Thanks again,
    Rachel