Thank You Posts

Default Don: two photos of a Duckling

Name:  Duckling DPP4.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  351.0 KB

Name:  Duckling 960-0601.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  210.7 KB

Don, I imported the first photo in DPPR and did the best I could with it. I then took it to LR where I was able to look at the histogram a bit better and tweak the white and black sliders. The RAW was overexposed. My camera was set to RGB as was DPP4 and LR.

My settings: 1DX with 400 f/4 II DO
    ISO: 1250
    560mm
    f/6.3
    1/640 sec.

I'm still struggling with DPP4 because I know you have to finish up in PS which, as I stated previously, I'm not comfortable with as yet (to say the least!)

Any better tonal range????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Melissa, Looks good the basics of PS are the same as LR you don't need to get into the advance stuff for Avian work now for landscapes it is a different story Here is a screen shot for a landscape image and this is before downsizing and sharpening for the web which added a few more layers since I sharpen the rock and sky using a different settings for each.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don. So you think the LR one looks okay? I guess I'm just intimidated by PS! I'll get over it...eventually.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the second one looks good
    Don Lacy
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I then took it to LR where I was able to look at the histogram a bit better and tweak the white and black sliders.
    Melissa as I've said before, it's the Histogram 'in camera' that you need to get right, the correct exposure here is your foundation where both the Blacks & Whites are not clipped, but have the maximum data within the capture, tweaking the Histogram in LR, DPP, ACR (PS) is secondary, if at all because you've got the correct Histogram in the first place. Lightening the file (lifting) the image in the Development module is not the way to go as you may, subject to the condition, amplify any noise in the Shadow/Dark areas. Saying that, slightly darkening an image isn't a problem because you have all the data there and not increasing noise.

Your real Goal is to get the Exposure right in camera, setting the camera up correctly in it's menu will also aid this IMHO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Melissa as I've said before, it's the Histogram 'in camera' that you need to get right, the correct exposure here is your foundation where both the Blacks & Whites are not clipped, but have the maximum data within the capture, tweaking the Histogram in LR, DPP, ACR (PS) is secondary, if at all because you've got the correct Histogram in the first place. Lightening the file (lifting) the image in the Development module is not the way to go as you may, subject to the condition, amplify any noise in the Shadow/Dark areas. Saying that, slightly darkening an image isn't a problem because you have all the data there and not increasing noise.

Your real Goal is to get the Exposure right in camera, setting the camera up correctly in it's menu will also aid this IMHO.
    A properly exposed file will still need to have the black and white points tweaked in post even a properly exposed raw file will often be flat and without contrast thats the reason we shoot in Raw to have the freedom to develop the image to our taste. Setting the black and white point properly in the Raw conversion or in PS is simply defining their tonal values relative to each other and is not the same as pushing an exposure in post. Sorry to contradict you here Steve but it really is two different things one is brightening the image after capture and the other is adding contrast after capture.
    Don Lacy

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A properly exposed file will still need to have the black and white points tweaked in post even a properly exposed raw file will often be flat and without contrast thats the reason we shoot in Raw to have the freedom to develop the image to our taste.
    Indeed Don, but guess my WF is different to most because with the Contrast Canon & LR add and they do, I tend to rip out the Contrast & Black with a recipe within LR purely to control the Contrast and as you know, the more midtown you can retain the better the detail. Certainly comparing 1DX1 files with say a D4 the difference is huge in the Black and Nikon score heavily. If you saw the amount of Contrast & Black that is removed from the Raw you would not sleep at night, but all very well controlled within certainly the LR Module. My point is that often I have seen files where the exposure was in correct and that the whole Histogram was pinch dramatically. Also as I'm sure you know by running the latest PSCC 2017 over time the sliders have become far more refined, but now we digress. Basically all I'm say is get the exposure right in camera, what you then do in your own WF is personal choice as we all have our preferences and vision.

Thanks for adding to the thread, as Melissa needs your help more than mine so good that you have chimed in and you will be able to hand hold her through this perhaps 'daunting' process.