Thread: Guillemot Uria aalge

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Guillemot Uria aalge

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II ISO 400 -0.67, 1/2500sec, f7.1
    Another shot from the boat on the way to the Inner Farnes, it is sometimes a bit of a scramble trying to get some elbow room and point the lens but I managed it a couple of times.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Image quality is beautiful and I love the running feet and the splash. Head angle is not ideal but this is still great and I will be thrilled to have this shot. Only thing is that there is something off about the water to the right of the bird. Looks like you cloned something out that you need to clean up a bit more. There is a line visible at just about the top of the birds head level and to the right of the bird. The water goes from clean and nice to blurred out and a different color in an area that should be in the same focal plane.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 07-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fabulous Jon, Id be thrilled with this image, I like the foot splash... I agree w Isaac, quick fix I'm sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not sure what happened here,...... yes I do and yes you are right. The bird was unfortunately to the edge of the frame, I borrowed a bit from the left and made a mask to blend it in - obviously not well enough!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 07-05-2017 at 01:46 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, neat bird running on water like the Coots do when they take off. I see what you and Isaac are talking about on the right side. When I have to extend the canvas in Photoshop I use the Crop Tool to set the boundaries I want to extend. The with Content Aware checked off I let Photoshop fill the area. Most times it works like a charm, when it doesn't then try little slices until you get what you want. Thanks for sharing this image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rebuilding textured waves to add canvas is pretty much impossible. Wonderful wing positions and splashes. Universal advice for better flight photography: pan faster ... We are getting slammed by rain :(

with love, artie

ps: the head angle seems pretty good to me; the problem is with the subject to sensor plane orientation -- the bird is angling away from you and the boat ...
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 07-06-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone much appreciated
    Jo yes - that is usually what I do but not enough canvas to extend hence taking some from the left. This worked last year but not this!