Thread: A Rare Sighting

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Rare Sighting

Attached Images Attached Images

Indeed what a rare sighting it was, a rhino mother and her calf both with horns still intact. Image captured last Sunday in a private game reserve, courtesy of my closest friend who is a Naturalist and a kin wildlife photographer like myself. We spent the whole afternoon in the company of those majestic creatures and as soon as the light became golden we managed a few frames. Unfortunately the drought we experienced over the past two years has taken its toll on the environment, which it is nowadays not as green and lush as expected. Also winter here and some of the trees bear no leaves, the grass is tall and yellow. Been experimenting with this new lens so I have a great number of frames from this sighting at various settings. I chose to show you this frame taken at H16:29 pm, the sun was setting and shadows quite deep but I quite liked the pose, let me know what you think?

Nikon D5
    Nikon 200-400@ 400mm
    Metering mode: pattern
    ISO 2500
    F7.1
    SS 1/1250s

Thank you so much for comments and critique on my previous posts, I so appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image with a interesting background story. Good light, cool to see the mother and calf. Good composition as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, It sure is a rare sight to watch them up close and with those horns intact. Love the light and through the grass is tall, the trees sans leaves this is still a fine image as the heads are clear with good view of the eyes & horns. Good sharpness and details as well. TFS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous light here Gabriela and nice to see some 'pointy' subjects.

If you have it, then a tad more below and a sliver less above for me. Like the HA of Mum, highlights that lovely head & horn. As you had the ISO I would be tempted for some more DoF as the calf looks 'crisper'???? Great colour palette and a lovely moment too have encounter, long may it continue.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot Gabriela, I like the composition and the light, good detail in the rhinos.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful photo Gabriela.
    The composition, lighting and colours work nicely. I like the baby's shadow on the mothers side. How about cloning out those few wisps of grass from their face?
    Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Gabi, another wonderful picture!. I like the soft light, the texture in their hides (or should I say armor) and the way they are positioned, the mother slightly ahead of the calf. A bit more space around the calf would be better in my opinion, nut maybe it was not possible.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Gorgeous light, worth waiting for IMHO. Too bad this has become a rare sighting. I find them a bit too centered top to bottom and would agree with Steve a bit more room below and less above to counter that. Overall, I very nice image and you handled the side lighting well.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ....lovely golden light in this frame .
    Great to see mum and kid with horns , i like the shadow of the kid on the female .Good to see that both are facing the camera and i do like the overall tone and color palette .
    I am fine with the crop as presented !!!!
    Lovely work ....dear Sis

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love your image, Gabriela. Such magnificent creatures in wonderful light. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Friends,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to view and comment, I truly appreciate it. Cannot emphasise how special this sighting was, for there are only few rhino around here whose horn has not been removed, mostly mothers with calf.

I did not realise how important the horn was to the species until I looked at this little video a local conservationist showed me last Sunday, and I admit it was really hard to watch towards the end. The video (now available on YouTube I think) shows a lone rhino coming to drink at a waterhole in a well known nearby World Heritage Site and two territorial male hippopotamus who decide to defend their territory from him. Not sure whether the rhino resembled a hippo because of the lack of horn, but clearly the victim was not aware that his weapon was missing and consequently fought to his death.

My conclusion? We are often ignorant of the consequences of our actions, us humans. We do so much harm to the environment even when we think we are doing good. I am sad to the core. I am also too old to make a difference, too busy making a living, and too afraid to get involved again, the powers that be are too much for me. There is just not enough money available to protect the species and the parties responsible are taking advantage of the situation instead of doing the right thing. Nevertheless, I am forever grateful to those who spend their lives doing so.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful sighting Gabriela, and such a shame that it is such a rare one. I really hope that I get a chance to see one at some point. Love the light, and I'm okay with the crop and settings. I also think a bit more DOF could have helped but not a deal breaker by any means. I love the shadow of the calf on the mom. Very nice frame, TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela
    Your last paragraph really paints a sad and terrible picture about conservation the world over. It is reminiscent of the fight to save the leather back turtles, Scarlet Ibis and Flamingos in my home, Trinidad and Tobago.

14. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image Gabriela , lovely light and nice feel with the inclusion of the environment , would have liked some space at the foot but still a fine image as presented . These are special creatures !
    TFS !

16. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With both horns intact........a special moment indeed Gabriela, apart from the lovely golden hour colour, I particularly like the shadow symmetry of the calf across mum.

TFS

18. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela it,s that lovely warm light which you waited for that makes this for me,two magnificent animals beautifully captured.

Keith.

20. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey mate how ya doing?

Gabriela,man....... you are gifted with words,such deeply moving posts for me,all be it wrapped with huge sadness.

Desparately sorry for the slow reply,I've wanted to a goodly while since first seeing this. It's a beautiful image,the encounter it's self must have been so special. Gabby this is really the first time I've felt deeply a yearning to be there. I oft wish i could travel all over the world.But am happy to be gifted what I have. This I yearn to see in the wild,it's a subtle but huge difference,I really fear for them,and also utterly adore.

Stunning light the kidlet's shadow so special,I dare not even ponder horns,I wondered as a child if this mutilation was their only hope,it was so hard for that kid,to even think that !! Even back them he had concerns this massacre would never stop and looked to dark places. Your story hurts of the guy that could no longer defend it's self due to good minded but desparate moves,they were my thoughts as a child Gabby I hated even back then gone there,but that situation to me was desparate,what it is now heaven help us. I don't have answers Gabby ,know not the whole story.

A rhino was this massive gentle giant to me as a child,only in a zoo Even that makes me sad,but please forgive that was all and is all I could access. I have told you already of an encounter that left an indelible mark on me as a small person,that will always be with me Gabby. He was a black but I could just reach him to feed,mum will still have kittens,if she knew her child had absconded to play with a rhino,hmm maybe not bless her,she is why I am here,she taught me to adore nature.

Anyway I best go, before that though mum's slight head turn,calf's shadow on his/her mum,the dry(foliage) speaks to me Gabby it echos/amplifies the dire plight of the subjects. Stunning light waited upon,ha, it must have been real hard to be with these and wait all confer to make this incredibly special

cheers for sharing, this is wonderous for me sorry so slow ya know why,

take care

stu

22. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Stu and my apologies for replying late, just like you I am a bit overwhelmed with work and other things these days. I really appreciate your detailed comments and time to view, so kind of you mate:)

Yes I do have wonderful opportunities from time to time and consider myself fortunate to live so close to the Big 5. Sadly, soon we might be talking about the Big 4. Truly moved that this image has so much impact on you, and especially that you care so much. I really wish there were more people like yourself around here

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea