Thread: Morning Reflection

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Morning Reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

Spending 5 nights at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge allowed me to experiment a bit. Early the last morning we had a low tide and found one male bear exploring the flats. I can't really say he was clamming because I don't think he found any. He was moving around fairly quickly and keeping his distance a little so I used the opportunity to try some silhouettes emphasizing the reflection. Here's one where I like the seagull in the frame as well.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 321mm
    1/750
    f8
    ISO 800
    HH, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, TK lumo mask, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wish the bear had some light on his face. Like the reflections and the gulls.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I like the reflection here & the inclusion of the gulls is a nice touch. Nice composition. TFS.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's different and I like it Rachel,Bear ,Gulls and a nice reflection make for a very interesting image,would love to witness this .

Keith.

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I'm not sure this qualifies for a 'silhouette', I would have thought that would be where the subject is almost in darkness with a rim light and lighter backdrop, almost backlit?

I like the 'foraging' aspect and the small splashes from the paws and the full reflection. I just wonder if moving to your left there would have been more sun to illuminate the subject? The gulls I find distracting, nothing you can do, they just follow the bears, but without them the image I feel is better. An alternative is to reduce the blue, add some depth to the FG and up the saturation to bring some 'colour' back into the image, it might be reflective of the time, but it looks a bit flat, this is where we add our 'artistic' brush to the image at times, just a thought.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel it doesn't quite work for me, I love the light on the flank but not the lack of light onthe head, had the bear been in total light or conversely shadow I think it would have been better. I like to see the reflection in the water.

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling this would get mixed reviews. I have a few more from the same morning that are a bit more traditional in lighting, comp, etc.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel fully understand the mixed feeling you had .....but i think this works for me as presented .
    Having the light coming from behind left , what would one expect ? Just this ..... so you did well i think even having some detail on the dark side .
    I do like the refection and the gull on RHS ....that other gull destroys the scenery for me ....and needs to go !!!
    Lovely color and mood .

TFS Andreas

14. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- I agree with Steve and Andreas , i think you have handled the light quite well and composed it well enough but for me that gull in the BKG is a big distraction and is not helping the image at all .

TFS !

16. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas and Haseeb, much appreciated.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

Looking at this image, the "picture" that comes to mind is one of a solitary bear at sunrise and absolute silence interrupted from time to time by the tiny splash of his paws in the water, to me this would be magic without the presence of gulls.

I like the POV here, reflection, and also behavioural aspect of the frame. The composition is great. Interested in what Steve said about saturation and reducing the blues, in doing so you might achieve a slightly warmer "feel" and a different "mood" altogether, worth a try?

Thank you so much for sharing, I like to see you experimenting and it reminds me to do the same, lately I have been working quite hard and somehow forgotten to play

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela. I actually really like the blue and purplish tones to this one so no going warmer for me.